The Council has 311 small self-contained flats in 18 locations around Palmerston North that provide subsidised rental accommodation for superannuitants and people receiving supported living payments. These flats offer:
- Privacy without isolation
- Easy access to shops and bus stops
- Carpets and blinds or curtains
Who is eligible to occupy these Council-owned flats?
- You must be 65 years or older, or be receiving Supported Living Payment
- Your assets must not be worth more than $40,000 (excluding vehicle, household and personal effects and prepaid funeral arrangements)
- You must have adequate support in place to live safely in a council unit
Weekly rental fees
Rents are reviewed once a year (in April) and are usually increased in July.
- Large one bedroom unit: $115.00 a week for a single person or $148.00 for a couple
- Small one bedroom or disability unit: $96.00 a week
- Bedsit: $91.00 a week
Supported Living Payment:
- $78.70 a week for a single person and $131 for a couple
We require four weeks rent for bond and two weeks rent in advance for all housing.
A liaison service is also provided where the residential property officer visits tenants twice a year.
Community housing contact information
Vicki McKeeman, residential property officer
Phone 06 351 4441 or call the customer service centre on 06 356 8199 or email email@example.com