The property once stood on over 20 acres and incorporated the Hokowhitu Lagoon which is now owned by Palmerston North City Council. In 1903, John Henderson Pollok Strang purchased the property and called it "Woodhey".
Strang was an affluent Englishman who had developed substantial business interests in Manawatu after his arrival in New Zealand. The family made major additions to the house to accommodate staff and add to the living area. On part of the property situated on the opposite side of the lagoon, they established a polo ground and John Strang and his brothers became leading members of the Manawatu Polo Club. He built the stables in 1905 for his horses. "Woodhey" was leased to the Crown in 1908 for the Governor Lord Plunket and his family. During this time the Strangs holidayed in England returning to the house in 1910.
Caccia Birch and its many uses
In 1921 the house was sold to William and Maud Caccia Birch, who were retiring from farming in the Taihape and Marton districts. Mr and Mrs Caccia Birch resided at "Woodhey" until William's death in 1936. Subsequently Maud (nee Keiller) built a new home in Marton. When she was unable to find a buyer for "Woodhey" the family gifted the property to the Crown to be used in the war effort and it subsequently had a variety of uses.
In 1940 the army used the house as accommodation barracks for Home Guard Officers who were training at Massey. After the war finished, a veteran nurses' convalescent home was established by the Palmerston North Hospital Board and it remained in use until 1959.
In 1960, Victoria University set up offices and lecture rooms for tertiary education outpost in Palmerston North. This was amalgamated with Massey Agricultural College in 1964 to become Massey University. The property continued to be used by the university and later by the Palmerston North Teachers' College until the early 1970s. The house had become run down, in severe disrepair and was derelict by the mid '70s.
Palmerston North City Council ownership
After a lot of lobbying and fundraising the property eventually came into Palmerston North City Council's ownership in 1983. In 1991 the restoration began. The majority of the work was spread over four years and continues to a lesser degree on an ongoing basis. Palmerston North City Council set up a Trust Board with a deed that ensures the property is well preserved, maintained and available for use by the whole community. The business was set up in 1993 and has established a successful niche in the conferencing and weddings sector.
A permanent archive display of the full history of the Caccia Birch House property is located in the Coach House building. This is available for visitors to view by appointment or on advertised open days.