Noise control, noise, complaint
Local Regulations and Licences

Noise control

If you are being bothered by excessive noise in your area, you can call the Council’s noise control line at any time of day or night. Phone 06 356 8199.

When you are planning any activity or event that has the potential to generate loud noise it is important to consider the following points.

  • Consider your neighbours
  • Keep the noise at a reasonable level
  • Tone the noise down at a reasonable hour
  • Don't let your entertainment be at the expense of your neighbours

What we can do

The Resource Management Act 1991 contains provisions for controlling all noise in the urban area. It empowers the Council to control the effects of excessive noise and to appoint noise control officers to carry out this duty.

The RMA is designed to protect people from excessive or unnecessary noise. This generally relates to musical instruments and stereos, electrical appliances, power machines, and people.

Noise control officers can:

  • seize equipment
  • impose fines
  • dispose of equipment

Specific noise control regulations are included in the District Plan, which sets maximum noise levels for residential, business, and industrial zones.