Building Name: Former Hallensteins and
International Harvester Building
Address: 3 Coleman Place
Construction date: 1913
Architect: Stage 1: England Brothers, Stage 2: Clere and Clere
Builder: Stage 1: unknown, Stage 2: HE Townshend
District Plan Category: 2
Building number: 42
Physical and Social History
This building has adapted from an agricultural machinery showroom, to a men's wear store, and to a bar. Its first floor has been removed and much of the interior is now open from ground level to the ceiling of the former upper floor. It was also at the heart of a clash between the Borough Council and a multi-national company - that included a ratepayer poll - in the course of its construction in 1913.
CT WN23/105, which was issued in 1881, transferred this property from George Matthew Snelson to Charles Hosking, who is described as a local settler. The property was then leased to various people before Charles Hosking, who had a well-known blacksmithing business in The Square in the early days, transferred it to his wife Mary Jane Hosking in 1900. She transferred it to Charles Robert Hewett in 1902, and he then transferred it in 1903 to Joseph Henrys, who is described on the CT as a local settler.
The section Joseph Henrys became the owner of in 1903, was responsible for the bottleneck in Coleman Place, and AGS Bradfield covered this topic in his 1956 book Forgotten Days. He said that Coleman Place had been developed some years after the original survey of the town, when it was realised that there was a need for this cul-de-sac to join up with George Street. Two small sections were in the way, and while the council was able to buy one section, the owner of the other section (Charles Hosking) wanted more money for it than the council could find. Bradfield added that years later another attempt was made to buy the section, but again the owner (Joseph Henrys) demanded too much for it. It was in the course of the latter attempt - in 1913 - that this building has its origins. Six decades later, in 1972, PNCC finally did become owner of the section for a time as part of a land swap - along with its formerly unwanted building.
Joseph Edward Henrys
JE (Joe) Henrys became New Zealand's best-known racing handicapper over a 45-year period, eventually having handicapped races for some 80 racing clubs throughout the country. His first appointment as a handicapper was with the Feilding Jockey Club in 1888, and he had been a steward with the club prior to that time.
Joe Henrys lived in Feilding in the latter 1880s and his career thereafter is covered extensively in the index of the Feilding Star, held at the Feilding Public Library. He first appears in December 1887 opening the Empire Fruit Shop and Confectionary, in Fergusson Street, Feilding, next to the Empire Hotel. At this time his surname was referred as Henry - including in adverts he placed in the newspaper. The Feilding Star does not refer to him as Henrys until 1907, although the Wises Directory had begun listing him as Henrys by 1902.
By August 1888, his shop had become the Empire Tobacconist shop, complete with a billiard room. By October 1888, it was the Tattersall's Hairdressing Saloon and Tobacconist Shop, and a reading and smoking room had also been added. He had also employed a professional hairdresser, and ladies hairdressing was a specialty. Possibly he left Feilding soon after this, however, his handicapping activities continued being reported in detail. The Mercury newspaper described him in 1892, as the handicapper of the North Island, and success has not spoilt him. He is always modest, courteous, and obliging. In 1893, the Feilding Star stated that: His ability as an adjuster of weights is undoubted, and he now stands out prominently as by far the best handicapper of racehorses in New Zealand. This position has been achieved by sheer hard work on Mr Henry's part, he having devoted all his time and energies in order to qualify himself for the responsible position he holds in the sporting world.
By 1894 he was handicapper for the following racing clubs: Canterbury, Manawatu, Feilding, Rangitikei, Egmont, Nelson, Marlborough, Marton, Turakina, Woodville, Warrengate, Sandon, Waverley and Waitotara, Patea, Ashhurst, Otaki, Waitara, Lower Valley, Taratahi Carterton, Pahiatua, Rowar Pass, United Hunt Club and Wairarapa Hunt Club. When interviewed at Feilding in 1907, he said he was by then handicapping for over thirty clubs, and was in his seventeenth year with the Canterbury Jockey Club, then the country's premier club. By 1909, he had been in the business for 20 years and had been handicapper for 64 clubs. In this time he had been subject to only eight written complaints, five being from one wealthy Hawkes Bay owner. However, an investigation in January 1909 found that man had no cause to complain. In explaining the process at this time (as Henrys had just exhaustively done for the investigating committee), the Feilding Star stated that one of the most difficult tasks for a handicapper was to adjust the weights so that every owner would believe that their horse would win the race handicapped. If that belief did not happen "woe be to the reputation of the paid weight-adjuster."  It is possible to question how this technique might have been applied in Palmerston North in the lead-up to the 1913 Coleman Place issue.
Joe Henrys does not appear to have lived in Palmerston North for long - and certainly not around the time he became the owner of this property. The 1887 Manawatu Electoral Roll lists him as a resident of Palmerston North (spelt Henry), with his occupation given as a fruiterer. He and his wife Nellie had their first son, John Louis Henrys, in Palmerston North in about 1888. They moved to Wellington at some point after this, but had probably lived in Feilding around 1887-88 as well. John Louis was later to attend college in both Wellington and Sydney. However, Joe also paid rates to the Palmerston North Borough Council between 1892 and 1901, although the property concerned was not researched.
The 1902 Wises Directory lists Joe Henrys as a handicapper of Grant Road, Wellington. However, by the 1905-6 Wellington North Electoral Roll, the family lived in Thorndon Quay - where they remained until at least the mid-1920s. Much of what little biographical information that is available on Joe comes from reports of the death of his son, John Louis, who was killed in a car crash at Eketahuna on 13 September 1918, aged 31. John was also a handicapper (as well as being an agent for the Wairarapa Farmers' Co-operative Association), and at the time of his death, he was the handicapping for the Masterton, Opunake, Stratford, Avondale, Marlborough and Rangitikei Racing Clubs. John and his mother Nellie (who died in 1924, aged 56) are buried together at Karori Cemetery, while another son Stuart Joseph Henrys died in 1928.
Joe Henrys is said to have been linked to Cashel Street, Christchurch, around 1913 and it was suggested that perhaps he had some connection to the International Harvester Co Ltd. However, the source of this information has not been traced - and certainly it is clear that he lived in Wellington. It is possible to speculate, however, that his links with the Canterbury Jockey Club might have brought him into contact with the Christchurch-based International Harvester Co Ltd.
This Controversial Building
The Manawatu Daily Times of 23 April 1913 announced the pending arrival of this building under the headline "Palmerston's Progress: International Harvester Coy to open here - in Coleman Place."
We learn that the International Harvester Company has acquired (through Mr Fred Herring's Land Agency) Mr J Henry's (sic) premises in Coleman Place and intends establishing a branch here and erecting a large two-storeyed warehouse and showroom. The section acquired is the site at one time occupied by Mr Bunting's studio.
The Harvester Coy is one of the largest caterers for farming implements in the world. The New Zealand manager, Mr FW Jones, selects Palmerston for its central position and its excellence as a distribution centre. Mr Jones' American business instincts tell him Palmerston is going to be a boom centre. It is understood that the Wellington agency is to be closed in favour of Palmerston. The possibilities of this district, have, of course been tested by the firm's operations conducted on a minor scale, and the result is the decision to establish a base here.
The building will be an imposing one and an ornament to the town. The top storey will probably be let as offices or for some other similar reason.
On 25 April (the last meeting of the Council's term), the Council's Public Works Committee discussed the situation in relation to its wish to widen the street in this location, and passed a resolution: That the Council be recommended to take steps to take a poll to raise a loan to secure the land required to widen Coleman Place; the amount of the loan is to be £3500, and the land is to be acquired under the Public works Act; and that Mr Henrys be informed accordingly.
The tender notice for this building was duly advertised in the Manawatu Evening Standard for the first time on 2 May 1913. The description was of a premises (in brick) at Palmerston North, for the International Harvester Co, and the architects were England Bros, of Christchurch. The plans and specifications were available to be seen at the Palmerston North office of architects Messrs F de J Clere & Son. Tenders were to close on 19 May. This is the only England Bros building listed in the Pam Phillips Papers on the activities of architects in and around Palmerston North between 1900 and 1950.
The written application for a building permit received in early May, brought the matter to a head for the newly elected councillors. The mayor adjourned the initial meeting so the council could inspect the section. The matter was then to come up at the first full Council meeting of the new term, to be held the following Friday night. The day after that meeting, the Standard reported that it had been resolved that the use of the party wall by the applicants, would be refused, and that the plans would be referred back to the Engineer. Another resolution was also passed to take steps to hold a poll of ratepayers with a proposal to raise a loan for £3500 to acquire the Coleman Place section for street widening purposes.
Both local newspapers covered the story with interest. The Times interviewed Cr Armstrong, who had been a councillor for about sixteen years, and who was firmly against the polling of ratepayers before the Council knew what the position was in respect of the land. Previously the potential transaction had only been a question of the cost of the freehold between Henrys and the Borough, but: "Now the whole of the section of land has been leased by a most powerful American company, the Harvester Co. That company has entered into a contract for the erection of a building to cover the entire space, the Coleman Place frontage being entirely reserved for other purposes. Heavy shipments of goods are now either shipped or in process of shipment. Every inch of the leased land is required, and the representative of the Harvester Co has declared his determination to proceed with the building in its entirety and against all opposition."
Cr Armstrong wondered what the ratepayers would face if they approved the loan to pay for the land. He anticipated that this would include (1) Paying for the freehold of the land. (2) Compensating Henrys for the loss of the 10-year lease. (3) Compensating the Harvester Co for the loss of the lease. (4) Further compensating the Harvester Co for its losses and expenses through inability to store them in the building intended for them. (5) Compensating the contractor. (6) Paying the architect's fees and costs. And finally (7) "heavy and costly litigation."
Despite the protests, the Building Permit Registers record that the permit for this building, described as brick shops, was granted to JE Henrys on 28 May 1913. A letter published in the Times two weeks later stated that the work involved was a £2,900 contract.
Work began immediately and on 5 June, the Times reported that: The contractor has made a start with the foundations of the Harvester Coy's new building in Cuba Street (sic). Tonight in the Municipal Hall at 8 o'clock, the Mayor (Mr JA Nash) will address the ratepayers upon the question of the loan which it is proposed to raise to acquire the section for street widening purposes.
The Times editorial expressed concern that this meeting was being called at such short notice - when ratepayers had not had time to understand the complexities of the matter under consideration. The Standard's editorial added that when the problem had been discussed in the past - where the public had been interested at all - opinions had been very divided. It added that at least this opportunity would mean that in future, critics who only partially understood the situation, could not say that the ratepayers were ignored.
The following day the two local newspapers reported extensively on the meeting. The Times said that 43 ratepayers attended. The Mayor had told them that Mr Henrys had offered to sell the council the section for £5,500, and an exchange for a larger adjoining site (then leased to Arthur Hopwood) had also been considered. However, the council considered the asking price too high - given that Henrys' land had a Government valuation of £2,500. The Mayor explained that the need to widen the road was because:
The corner was very dangerous, and if any of those present would go between 12 and 2 o'clock and 5 and 6 o'clock in the evening they would see for themselves by the amount of traffic that (passed) around that way. Fully one-third of the population of the Borough lived in the small area in the western side of the Borough. The Council felt that full opportunity should be given to the ratepayers to express an opinion as to whether the land should be taken or not.
In a lighter moment, the Mayor commented on the foundations of the new building having been started, and how, personally he had seen men shovelling concrete as fast as ever they could, and, in fact, he had never seen workmen working harder. However, there was not much time for them to shovel between now and the poll.
An audience member commented that these "would be good men to employ as Borough staff - (laughter)."
The Times' editor reported that little additional information had been provided on the matter at the meeting. The editor added that: The demand for (Coleman Place) is not as great as has been urged and it never will be, for there are too many other adjacent avenues (for) traffic; and the street also is a chain wide at present.
The Standard added that one questioner queried had asked if George Street was the same width as the existing entrance to Coleman Place. They were, but the Mayor said the crookedness made the road dangerous. A number of shops were (years later) to face Coleman Place. One suggestion was to buy the lease. Another was to take the whole property and widen George Street as well. It was widely regretted that the matter had not been attended to years earlier.
The Mayor said that Henrys had asked the council several times to buy the property, but that he had always wanted to much for it. Henrys had told the Mayor some 18 months previously that he was contemplating building there. A councillor remarked that Nash had considered this a bluff - which he denied. He added that: Mr Henrys is a personal friend of my own, and a gentleman, and in all matters I believe he will give a fair and square deal.
One of the letters sent to the two newspapers, written by 'Town Planner', agreed that the traffic through the Coleman Place funnel, was very great, especially at Show times and on market days, let alone on ordinary week days. However the writer also believed that the suggested damages to the lessee at were "bunkum," and that people who did not know the thoroughfare's importance, would oppose the loan. The Times' editor responded to the heavy usage viewpoint by saying that on Saturday evenings the traffic flow was so light that street orators held lectures there, and at other times it was the rendezvous point for military gatherings. 'Ratepayer' defied anyone to state one accident that had happened on the corner in the previous 25 years, and questioned the point of widening the intersection and leaving George Street as it was. He or she suggested other fine, wide alternative streets available to people wishing to avoid Coleman Place.
The Ratepayer poll was held on Wednesday, 11 June, and the following day the Times editor reported that the result was both decisive and as expected. The loan would not happen. Of the 586 people who voted, 415 had voted against taking out the loan, 171 wanted it. There were also 12 informal votes.
The Times of 18 June 1913 reported that the Harvester Co had applied to the Council for permission to use Mr Hopwood's wall on Borough Council property as a parting wall for their new building. The Council's fortnightly meeting had referred the matter to the Works Committee to consider the opinions of its engineer and solicitor, with power to act. This appears to have ended the matter.
The property was leased to The International Harvester Company of New Zealand Ltd, for a term of ten years starting 1 July 1913. A small strip of the land was later transferred to the Manawatu Patriotic Society for the Anzac building, including party wall rights.
The building, with its original huge plate glass windows, as the International Harvester Company's showroom (probably the George St frontage). Photo from: David Dench, International Harvester: A New Zealand point of view (PN, 2002), p89.
The International Harvester Company
David Dench's 2002 book, International Harvester: a New Zealand point of view, includes a photo (above) of staff outside the Coleman Place building in the latter part of the firm's time there (between 1919 and 1923). At that time the brickwork was unpainted and the building did not have a verandah on its George Street frontage (the other two frontages would have shown doors). Also, instead of the present substantial ground floor concrete supports that date to 1998, the ground floor exterior walls of the showroom section of the building, were primarily huge plate glass windows with narrow supports - between the concrete pillars at each corner of the showroom.
While this building was the International Harvester Company's first premises in Palmerston North, other local companies had sold its products before that time. For example, Manson & Barr, in Rangitikei Street, sold Keystone farm machinery in the early 1900s, and the International Harvester Co had bought the Keystone Company (Illinois, US) in 1904.
The International Harvester Company had been formed the United States in 1902, and it was a combination of other much older firms that were producing agricultural machinery there. These included the Deering, and McCormick firms, that are still well-known names in vintage machinery circles. The firm, as The International Company of America, established its first branch in New Zealand in 1905, choosing Christchurch for the branch due to its principal machine being a reaper and binder, and Christchurch being the area where there was the most demand for these.
The International Harvester Company of New Zealand Ltd was formed in Christchurch (where its head office was based) on 1 July 1912, and it soon established branches in Auckland, Palmerston North and Dunedin. A short-lived branch in Wellington (which the Palmerston North branch replaced) was later re-established. During the time the firm occupied this building, it sold a wide array of farm machinery and implements, including reapers and binders, mowers, hay-rakes, tillage and seeding machines.
The lease to the International Harvester Co had been due to end in May 1923, and that year the company moved to Rangitikei Street, which was the hub of farm equipment sales yards etc, rather more so than Coleman Place - just as that area has continued to be identified with car sales yards and the like ever since (although there was a blacksmith's shop and a stable across the road in George Street during this period). The firm was issued a permit to build its new £6,100 brick building in Rangitikei Street on 30 November 1922.
CT WN23/105 had been issued to Joseph Henrys, still erroneously described as a settler of Palmerston North, on 12 February 1918, and this lists the transfer of the property from Henrys to Hallenstein Bros Ltd in late 1923.
These photos of the International Harvester Co of NZ Ltd, building in Cashel Street, Christchurch (built about 1912), show design similarities to the Palmerston North building. The upper photo was taken in the late 1920s and the lower one after 1945. This building's current status has not been researched, however, it is not on the Historic Places Trust's list. Photo from: David Dench. International Harvester: A New Zealand point of view (PN, 2002), p42.
The architectural partnership that drew up the plans - dated 28 September 1923 - for converting this building from a seller of agricultural machinery to a seller of men's clothing, signed its name on them as Clere & Clere. Susan Maclean's book, Architect of the Angels: The Churches of Frederick de Jersey Clere, states that this partnership, between Frederick de Jersey Clere and his son Herbert Clere, was formed in 1923 after Herbert Clere left Palmerston North to live in Wellington. However, the book states that he probably did most of the designing of buildings in and around Palmerston North that were done in the Clere firm's name between 1911 and 1923, including some 33 houses.
Clearly, there was a relationship between the Clere firm and this building from the start, even though another architectural firm originally designed it. The plans for these alterations record that Permit 578 was issued for the work on 26 October 1923, and that the builder was HE Townshend. The Building Permit Register further added that the value of the job was £2,559. The work included installing three pair of overhead electric light pendants in back part of the shop (which also had two pits for working under vehicles), a verandah around part of the building, two sets of double front doors, removing internal partitions on the ground floor and replacing them with an additional two cast iron columns (there were about ten others already helping support the upper floor, as shown in the photo above). Office space on the first floor was also altered and two 12ft wide arches that perhaps had previously marked the division between International Harvesters' showroom and workshop, were now bricked up to form a party wall. Window display cases were installed and the windows were altered to include the familiar HB sign that identified this firm in those days. The main upper façade of the building (the end facing Main Street) was also decorated with the words"New Zealand HB Clothing Factory, Clothing, Mercery, Hats, Boots
In 1968, the firm celebrated its 85th anniversary in Palmerston North, having first opened in September 1883 in a building in Coleman Place owned by the Waldegrave family - possibly on the site of the Union Building (now Studio 31). In 1900, it had moved to a building next to where the Royal Hotel then was, and where the BNZ now is. It then moved to this building, although the 1968 article erroneously states that the firm moved to the building in 1921. In the early days, the firm - and this building - was known as a branch of the NZ Clothing Factory, but the HB on the exterior tied the building to the firm's founders, Hallenstein Bros. The Hallenstein brothers, led by Bendix Hallenstein, had opened their first store in Dunedin in 1876. Another 35 branches opened around the country over the next 25 years, and their familiar HB sign was displayed prominently and through the country, including at such remote places as the wall of Ormondville Railway Station (c1902).
Hallensteins remained in this building until 1972, when, following an agreement with the PN City Corporation (as it then was named) the previous year, the corporation gave Hallensteins the old Midland Hotel building three doors away, in exchange for the Hallensteins property. No money changed hands, but Hallensteins then had to demolish the old hotel (formerly 'Everybody's Picture Theatre') and build their new premises (now Trumps Fashions' shop). Hallensteins' new building opened on 17 October 1972. They intended to stay there forever, but thirteen years later, that building was also sold to PNCC (which was preparing its pre-'Rosco building' library relocation plans) and Hallensteins followed the pedestrian traffic flow elsewhere in the CBD.
The dark-roofed area is the former International Harvester showroom and warehouse - by this time shared by Carl Neilsen's car repair shop and Hallensteins - photographed in about 1950. The Midland Hotel (which was later swapped for this property) is in the upper left corner of the picture. Between this building and the Midland is the former Hopwood building (later part of the Midland Hotel) that the Council tried to use the party wall of, to block construction of this building. Meanwhile the former RSA building is in the bottom left corner. Photo: Whites Aviation Ltd, Palmerston North & District, New Zealand (Auckland, 1950), p2
Occupants (to 1960)
Wises 1915-16 - Coleman Pl - International Harvester Co; Cuthbertsen & Spelman, coal merchant. Probably also AJ Patterson, civil engineer in 1915 only
Wises 1920-22 - Coleman Pl - International Harvester Co; EJ Spelman & Co, merchants; & possibly Fitt & King, manufacturing jewellers in 1920; & Cliffe & Remington, manufacturing jewellers, and J King, jeweller, in 1922.
Wises 1925 - Coleman Pl - C Neilson, motor garage; Hallenstein Bros Ltd, clothiers; Hume Pipe Co (Aust) Ltd and possibly others.
Stones 1933 - Coleman Pl - NZ (HB) Clothing Factory Ltd (manager: CA Bierre) George St - 'HB Buildings': Miss Amy Gertrude Low, dressmaker; Miss Molly Townsend, teacher of dancing; Lionel Andrew Johnston, tailor; Robert A Bruce, tailor. Also Justice & Edmunds (used car dept)
Wises 1936 - Coleman Pl - Hallenstein Bros Ltd, clothiers. George St - Miss A Low, dress specialist; Miss Molly Townsend, teacher of dancing; Miss Margaret Stock, teacher of dancing; Lionel A Johnston, tailor; Robert Bruce, tailor
Wises 1939 - Coleman Pl - Hallenstein Bros Ltd, clothiers. George St - HB Buildings - Miss Amy G Low, dressmaker; Miss M Harper, fancy goods; Charles H Salter, tailor. Also Justice & Edmunds, used car depot.
Wises 1944 - 1 Coleman Pl - Hallenstein Bros Ltd, clothiers. George St - HB Buildings: Miss Amy G Low, dressmaker; Miss M Harper, fancy goods
Wises 1950-51 - 1 Coleman Pl - Hallenstein Bros Ltd, clothiers. George St - Miss Amy G Low, dressmaker; John F Johnstone, tailor; Mrs Georgina West Also 11 George St - Carl Neilsen, motor engineer
Wises 1953-54 - 1 Coleman Pl - Hallenstein Bros Ltd, clothiers George St - HB Buildings: Miss Amy G Low, dressmaker; Reece & Alcock, solicitors. Also 11 George St - Carl Neilsen, motor engineer.
Wises 1957 - 1 Coleman Pl - Reece & Alcock, solicitors; Hallenstein Bros Ltd, clothiers George St - HB Buildings: Miss Amy G Low, dressmaker; Reece & Alcock, solicitors. Also 9-11 George St - Syd Jensen Motors Ltd.
Wises 1959-60 - 1 Coleman Pl - Hallenstein Bros Ltd, outfitters. HB Buildings: First Floor: Reece & Alcock. Also 9-11 George St - Syd Jensen Motors Ltd; Aviation Sales & Service Ltd
The knitwear supplies firm Willie Weavers occupied the old building by 1990, but by 1992 and the purchase of the present library building, the old Hallensteins building was no longer required by PNCC. The property was then subdivided into two parts, and the part containing this building received CT WN43A/713 in September 1993.
However, in 1992 this building had been sold for $300,000 to bar and grill operator Dean Phillips, to be converted to Deano's Bar & Grill. The Building Permit records state that this work was complete by 8 December 1992. Although the transfer of the property on the CTs did not occur until 1995, Phillips had a caveat on the property from 1992.
Late on the evening of 9 March 1998, the unoccupied first floor of the building caught fire in a spectacular blaze that drew six fire appliances and 40 fire fighters. This was partly out of fear that the fire might spread to other buildings, although the firewalls prevented this from happening. However, damage to the upper floor was estimated at 80%, while downstairs there was considerable smoke and water damage. A spokesman for Deanos said that although they paid rent for the upper floor, it was condemned and they only used it for storage.
In mid-1998, the building was transferred to the present owner, the Manawatu Development Co Ltd. The firm then undertook a major refurbishment of the building prior to The Loaded Hog bar opening there in November 1998. This work included fire reinstatement and major seismic strengthening work. The building was completely gutted back to the three walls, and the present 'ground floor' concrete-work that was not present at the time of the fire, appeared during that time. Most of the upper floor had also gone, meaning that nowadays, the ground floor ceiling is effectively now that formerly belonging to the upper floor. The Loaded Hog departed about 2004.
The last occupant was Bar Mode, which finally departed in 2009 after a troubled tenancy. The building is now empty, but has recently undergone some more renovations.
David Dench's book on the International Harvester Company is not a 'business history' as such, focusing to a large extent on its US background and products - and on the later years of Palmerston North branch. Therefore, there may be more information to be found on the management history of the firm in NZ, and also on senior personalities such as the American Mr FW Jones. Joseph Henrys himself is deserving of further interest. Council records will hold more specific information on the long-running section issue - and also on the 1913 clash. The Building Permit files state that this building is listed as earthquake-prone. Although the note concerned is on a PNCC Building Permit file that is separate to the one containing the 1998 strengthening work.
The building is designed in the Edwardian Stripped Classical style where Classical elements and details are used in a simplified manner. The 1923 drawings available show the two-storied building with symmetrical façades facing Coleman Place and the Square while the façade facing George Street is not symmetrical.
The original drawings show the building with a central triangular pediment to the parapet to the façade facing Coleman Mall with a cornice, and pilasters, which break the façade into three equal bays. The façade facing The Square also has a central triangular pediment to the parapet but is divided into two equal bays with pilasters. The Cuba Street end of the George Street elevation has a plain rendered wall with curved stepped parapet with doors and windows on the ground floor only. The remainder of the building has the same Classical language as the other façades but with subtle difference. It has a parapet with a pavilion pediment forming one unequal bay with two other equal bays separated by pilasters. Each of the pilasters extends to the parapet on all elevations and the cornice is continuous.
The ground floor has almost continuous shop fronts with a corner entry facing the CM Ross building, and another on the George Street/Coleman Place corner. The plans show the shop fronts to be deeply recessed display windows.
The ground floor plan is show as being a largely open space but with an office and store to the rear. Stairs rise up to the first floor centrally on the George Street wall. The first floor is shown as having a central L shaped corridor off which were a number of offices.
Most of the first floor has now been removed. The verandah design is shown as incorporating the HB sign on both corners of Coleman Place.
The construction of the building is not shown on the available drawings.
Statement of Significance
This building has high local significance for historical and design values, representivity of building style and level of external authenticity.
This building has highhistoric significance in its historic association with the first occupier, International Harvester and a subsequent occupier, the clothing firm Hallenstein Brothers. It is also associated with the well recognised Christchurch architectural form England Brothers who designed the building and with the architects of later modifications, Clere and Clere, a highly regarded architectural practice in the lower half of the North Island from the late Victorian to the Inter-War period.
The building has high design values as one of a number of buildings in the Cuba Street, George Street, Coleman Place, and The Square area which, when considered collectively, form a coherent group of buildings of a similar age, general style, form, use, and scale.
The building has high external authenticity.
 AGS Bradfield, Forgotten Days (PN, 1956), p164
 John Costello & Pat Finnegan, Tapestry of Turf: The History of New Zealand Racing 1840-1987 ((Auckland, 1988), p36
Feilding Star 22 December 1887 2(3)
Feilding Star 22 December 1887 3(2), 15 August 1888 3(5), 5 October 1889 3(2)
Feilding Star 5 January 1892 2(3)
Feilding Star 3 August 1893 3(4)
Feilding Star 20 July 1894 2(4), 2 December 1907 3(2)
Feilding Star 11 January 1909 2(7)
 Karori Cemetery and Death Registration microfiche held at PN City Library.
 David Dench. International Harvester: A New Zealand point of view, reunion 2002 (Palmerston North, 2002) p88.
 CT WN23/105 records that William Bunting had leased the property for 7 years starting 1 January 1895. However, Photo Sq142 (c1912) in the PN City Library's Photographic Collection shows large trees on at least part of the section.
Manawatu Daily Times 23 April 1913 4(7)
Manawatu Evening Standard 26 April 1913 4(7)
 Herbert Clere was involved with erecting a new building on the adjoining site for Arthur Hopwood at this time, and its party wall also came under consideration as a means to get rid of the planned International Harvester Coy's building [Ref: MDT 21 May 1913 3(5)]
 Pam Phillips Papers, Ian Matheson City Archives, PN City Library
Manawatu Evening Standard 7 May 1913 5(1)
Manawatu Evening Standard 10 May 1913 5(1)
Manawatu Daily Times 26 May 1913 5(1)
 Building Permit Register, Vol 1, PNCC Archives 4/13/1, Ian Matheson City Archives, PN City Library
Manawatu Evening Standard 10 June 1913 5(5)
Manawatu Daily Times 5 June 1913 4(6)
Manawatu Daily Times 5 June 1913 1(4) & 4(6)
Manawatu Evening Standard 5 June 1913 4(5-6)
Manawatu Daily Times 6 June 1913 5(1-2)
Manawatu Daily Times 6 June 1913 4(6)
Manawatu Evening Standard 6 June 1913 6(2-3)
Manawatu Evening Standard 10 June 1913 5(5)
Manawatu Daily Times 11 June 1913 4(6-7)
Manawatu Daily Times 11 June 1913 5(3)
Manawatu Daily Times 12 June 1913 4(5-6) & 5(2). The results by the three polling places were Opera House: 92 for & 249 against; Oddfellows Hall, Cuba Street: 57 for & 96 against; fire station, Main Street, Terrace End: 22 for & 70 against.
Manawatu Daily Times 18 June 1913 5(2)
 CT WN23/105 records that this lease was in fact not entered on the CT until 15 December 1914, while a mortgage had been entered in March 1914 and this was replaced by another in November 1914 - the first with the Bank of Australasia, and the second with the Public Trustee.
 David Dench, International Harvester, p89
 David Dench, International Harvester, p41; Manawatu Daily Times 23 April 1913 4(7)
 Susan Maclean, Architect of the Angels: The Churches of Frederick de Jersey Clere (Wellington, 2003), p24
 Building Permit Register, Vol 3, p219, PNCC Archives 4/13/1; Plan 207/11-31, PNCC 4/13/6, Ian Matheson City Archives, PN City Library
 Building Permit Register, Vol 3, p406, permit issued 5 June 1934, PNCC Archives 4/13/1; Plan 207/11-31, PNCC 4/13/6, Ian Matheson City Archives, PN City Library
 PNCC Building Permit file C70/1-3
 The Manawatu Evening Standard of 22 April 1921 (p5) records that the tearooms above their shop (which was owned by the Waldegrave Estate) had been gutted by fire the previous evening, and although they managed to salvage their stock, there was a great deal of water and smoke damage.
Manawatu Evening Standard, 16 September 1968, p12; Records of Ormondville Rail Preservation Group Inc (per VA Burr)
Manawatu Evening Standard 11 August 1971, p3; 16 October 1972, 'opening supplement'; 4 December 1990, p1; 5 December 1990, p12
Manawatu Evening Standard 5 December 1990, p12; 6 October 1992 p3
 PNCC Building Permit file C70/1-7. C70/1-3 also relates to the property and contains the 1923 alteration plan.
Manawatu Evening Standard 10 March 1998, p1
Manawatu Evening Standard, 2 November 1998, p13; 6 December 1998, p1; 2004-05 phonebooks