Rates, Building and Property

Dependent dwelling units

Dependent dwelling units are self-contained units on the same site as the main house, and are generally used for relatives, older or unwell people. If you’re building one, you’ll need resource consent.

Dependent Dwelling Units are self contained dwelling unit with a maximum gross floor area of 100m2 on the same site and in the same ownership as the principal dwelling unit.  These Dependent Dwelling Units are for the purposes of providing accommodation for family relatives, elderly or infirm people only.

Dependent Dwelling Units are a Controlled Activity which means that if your unit is able to meet all the rules for a Dependent Dwelling Unit, then there is no need for the resource consent application to require written consent from any persons.

The main rules relate to:

  1. Number – only one dependent dwelling unit can be associated with any dwelling on the site.
  2. Floor area  - the new Dependent Dwelling Unit cannot exceed 100m2
  3. Duration – once a dependent person ceases to live in the unit, then within 6 months the Dependent Dwelling Unit must be removed or integrated into the main dwelling building.  The removal of the kitchen facilities is considered to be integration into the main dwelling.
  4. Compliance with the Residential Zone bulk and location requirements if your site is in  the Residential Zone.  If the site is in the Rural Zone, then you will need to comply with the Rural Zone requirements.
  5. Air Noise control

If you think that you meet all the rules, then you are still required to apply for a resource consent.

Related Information