This page tells you about our Civil Defence & Emergency Management team, and how we can help you prepare for emergencies.
The Palmerston North City Council must:
- Ensure it can function to the fullest possible extent during and after an emergency.
- Provide support to our emergency services - Police - Fire - Ambulance.
- Plan and provide for Civil Defence Emergency Management within its own district.
- Provide support to our community during a significant emergency event.
The Palmerston North Civil Defence & Emergency Management (CDEM) team:
- Applies the four R's of Emergency Management (Reduction, Readiness, Response, Recovery) in order to achieve a safer Palmerston North.
- Co-ordinates in the response with emergency services, life-line utilities, volunteers, community groups and others.
- Support local, regional and central government agencies.
- Provides education and training for community groups, schools, workplaces and businesses.
Local Civil Defence arrangements in brief
- The mayor or deputy may declare a state of local emergency.
- A Civil Defence Controller can make decisions for the duration of the state of local emergency.
- A Controller and Police may use emergency powers depending on the situation.
- Palmerston North Rescue Emergency Support Team (REST) assists, and can provide leaders to take command of spontaneous and trained volunteers.
We work closely with Palmerston North Neighbourhood Support, Police and NZ Fire Service on the Neighbourhood Support Programme and encourage everyone in the community to become involved in their Neighbourhood Support Group.
Contact us about any civil defence matters in Palmerston North
City Council Contact Centre: (06) 356 8199
Fax: (06) 358 2372
Palmerston North Civil Defence & Emergency Management
Palmerston North City Council
Private Bag 11034
Palmerston North 4410