The team is run by Palmerston North City Council as part of the Civil Defence Act of 2002. It provides support to emergency services within the Manawatū region for:
- civil defence emergency management
- light urban search and rescue
- flood, swift water or high angle rope rescue emergencies.
REST has been registered as a New Zealand response team since 2004 with the designation NZRT-4. This registration recognises the team's ability to provide emergency response anywhere in New Zealand if requested.
In 2016 the team:
- attended 83 training exercises, displays and callouts
- donated more than 3,800 hours to training and events
- donated more than 200 hours to incident response
- assisted the Police, Fire Service and SPCA National Rescue Unit.
Join the team
We're looking for everyday people who want to be part of a volunteer civil defence rescue support team.
REST team members:
- are committed and dedicated
- undergo regular training to maintain skills to the highest level possible
- complete internationally recognised qualifications
- work well under pressure
- enjoy working in a team environment.
Recruitment open night: Tuesday 7 March
If you'd like to know more about the team and how to apply, come to our open night. See what we do, have a chat to the team, and take a look at our equipment. Meet at 7pm on the steps of the Palmerston North City Council building on The Square.
For more information about joining, email email@example.com, call us on 06 356 8199 or visit the REST page on Facebook: