We provide a weekly collection service for rubbish in official Palmerston North City Council bags. You can put out as many Council rubbish bags as you like, but rubbish in other bags won’t be picked up.
If your regular collection day falls on Good Friday or Christmas Day, we'll collect it the following Saturday.
From 1 July Council rubbish bags will cost a maximum of $2.50 each.
Where to buy Council rubbish bags
You can buy official Palmerston North City Council rubbish bags from our customer service centre. You can also buy them from the retailers listed below, who have agreed to a maximum price of $2.50 per bag:
- Countdown (all local stores)
- Mitre 10 Mega
- New World (Aokautere, Melody's and Pioneer Highway)
- Pak n Save
- Candy Corner, Ruahine Street
- Goshen Mini-Mart, Vogel Street
- Hokowhitu Four Square, Albert Street
- Super Seven Four Square, Milson
- Village Four Square & Lotto, Ashhurst
- Winchester Store, Ruahine Street
Where and when to put rubbish bags out
To stop animals getting into your rubbish and making a mess, it’s best to put your rubbish out on the day of collection rather than the night before.
Place rubbish bags at the edge of the kerb, by 7.30am on your collection day.
Rubbish collection tips
- The maximum weight for each bag is 10kg
- Secure the top of the bag
- Let any ashes cool before placing them in the bag
- Wrap sharp objects and broken glass in newspaper
- No hazardous waste
Reduce, re-use, recycle
Let’s all minimise the amount of waste that goes to landfill – reduce, re-use and recycle. We pick up recycling every week at the same time as your rubbish.