Purpose of the Mayoral Relief Fund (the Fund):
- The fund provides assistance to families and individuals in the community who are in extreme financial distress. The fund provides assistance on a one-off basis where real need is shown.
- This Fund is provided as a last resort, and when applicants have exhausted all other appropriate sources of relief funding, including but not limited to Work and Income New Zealand.
- Applicants are required to show proof that they have tried other sources of relief funding.
- This Fund is only available to families and individuals who are living within the Palmerston North City Council (PNCC) catchment area.
- As every applicant’s circumstances are unique, the criteria for different categories of assistance may vary. The Mayor’s Office has full discretion regarding the distribution of the fund.
- Applicants can only apply once within a 12 month period.
The type of relief funding provided is:
- Essential utilities which are disconnected including Power or Gas and/or outstanding bills on properties with young children and/or elderly in residence
- Family or personal crisi
- Ability to purchase food as a result of an emergency
- Homelessness as a result of an emergency
- Assistance for utility bills, accommodation, and payment of outstanding invoices will be paid by PNCC to the organisation directly if and when an application is approved.
- Relief funding is not available for any form of travel.
- The Mayor’s office will review all applications, arrange payment (if applicable), and inform all applicants of the outcome.
How to apply
Applicants are able to complete an application form which is available here or from the PNCC Customer Service Centre, or by phoning PNCC on: (06) 356 8199 and request a form to be sent.
The application form is to be returned either to the PNCC Customer Service Centre, on the ground floor of the Civic Administration Building, 32 the Square or sent to the following address:
Mayoral Welfare Fund
C/- The Mayor
Private Bag 11034
Palmerston North 4442
- Mayoral Relief Fund Application Form 397KB pdf