Status: Submissions Closed
Submissions from the public are being sought on Proposed Plan Change 21. The purpose of Proposed Plan Change 21 is to review the District Plan objectives, policies and rules relating to the Recreation Zone, Conservation and Amenity Zone, Water Recreation Zone, Racecourse Zone, Showgrounds Zone, and Race Training Zone and to rezone selected areas of land. Submissions close at 4:00pm on Friday 27 May 2016.
- Proposed Plan Change 21
- Proposed Plan Change 21 Summary
- Viewing of Proposed Plan Change 21
- Making a Submission
- Relevant Documentation
Proposed Plan Change 21 seeks to review the following zones:
- Recreation Zone
- Conservation and Amenity Zone
- Water Recreation Zone
- Racecourse Zone
- Arena Zone (Formerly Showgrounds Zone)
- Race Training Zone
Recreation Zone: A review of the way that Recreation Zone rules manage the open space character of parks and reserves, and the way that standard and temporary structures are provided for. The following changes are for your consideration:
- Refocus policies from the ‘development’ of open space to the ‘management’ of open space.
- Include a definition for ‘Recreation Zone Retail Activity’.
- Permitting buildings on parks according to the total site covered by buildings to recognise that effects are proportionate to the size of the park.
- Playgrounds, sculptures, toilet blocks and shade structures are proposed to be made exempt from impacting the permitted site coverage of parks in the Recreation Zone.
- Community events that last less than one week are permitted to erect temporary structures such as stages and marquees.
- Removal of Minor Temporary Military Training Activity standards around effects on flora and fauna to avoid duplication with the Manawatu-Wanganui Regional Council One Plan.
- Removal of rules around flood protection works by Horizons Regional Council. This is dependent on the rezoning of the secondary stop banks that are currently zoned Conservation and Amenity to be zoned Recreation.
- Updating assessment criteria related to car parking.
- Inclusion of noise limits within the Zone.
- Changes to the noise exemption for the Manawatu Model Motor Boat Racing Club on the Hokowhitu Lagoon from ten to five occasions per year.
- Inclusion of the Racecourse Structure Plan, a spatial plan for the main frontage and public entrance area.
- Inclusion of the Grand Oaks Drive Residential Area in the Subdivision Section, and associated assessment criteria to maintain streetscape and Racecourse amenity and mitigate effects on the existing residential environment.
- Inclusion of the Racecourse Precinct, and associated assessment criteria to retain open space and trees, and mitigate effects on adjoining residential neighbours.
- A name change from the Showground Zone to the Arena Zone.
- Updates to the lighting, landscape amenity, and outdoor storage standards.
- Inclusion of the Arena Master Plan, a spatial plan to guide Council’s long-term investment for the complex.
- Inclusion of assessment criteria associated with maintaining the principles of the Arena Master Plan.
- The introduction of farming, excluding intensive farming, and horticulture as permitted activities.
Changes to all Zones within Proposed Plan Change 21:
- Updated noise standards to reflect the latest national standards.
- Consolidated and updated standards and assessment criteria related to Temporary Military Training Activities.
- A focus on more outcomes based assessment criteria, and the removal of Environmental Results Anticipated.
The Plan Change and Variation are available for viewing at the following offices when these offices are open to the public:
- The Customer Service Centre, Palmerston North City Council, Civic Administration Building, The Square, Palmerston North;
- The Ashhurst Service Delivery Centre, Ashhurst Four Square Counter, 122 Cambridge Avenue, Ashhurst;
- The Palmerston North Public Library, (2nd floor, NZ Pacific Islands Zone) The Square, Palmerston North;
- Branch Libraries: the Roslyn Library (Vogel Street), Awapuni Library (College Street), Highbury Library (Highbury Avenue), Palmerston North;
- Linton Library, Puttick Road, Linton;
- Ashhurst Library, corner Cambridge Avenue and Bamfield Street, Ashhurst; and
- The Mobile Library.
Please refer to the Public Notice below for full details on how to make a submission.
The Council publicly notified the Proposed Plan Change on Thursday 28 April 2016.
Submissions to the Proposed Plan Change must be lodged with the Council before 4:00pm on Friday 27 May 2016.
- Recreation Zones Factsheet
- Arena Zone Factsheet
- Racecourse and Race Training Zones Factsheet
- Section 32 Report
- Appendix 1: Section 15 Recreation Zones Proposed Changes
- Appendix 2: Section 21 Race Training Zone Proposed Changes
- Appendix 3: Proposed Plan Change 21 Zoning Adjustments
- Appendix 4: Acousafe Recreation Section Noise Report Final
- Appendix 5: NZDF Temporary Military Training Activities Acousafe Report
- Appendix 6: Memorandum Racecourse Structure Plan
- Appendix 7: Arena Master Plan
- Appendix 8: Memorandum Race Training Zone Assessment
- Map 15.1 Racecourse Structure Plan
- Map 15.2 Arena Master Plan
- Original Submissions - Set 1 (Pdf 7.7Mb) l Set 2A (Pdf 3.4Mb) Set 2B (Pdf 5.8Mb) l Set 3 (Pdf 8Mb) l Set 4 (Pdf 5.9Mb) l Set 5 (Pdf 6Mb) l Set 6 (Pdf 4.5Mb) l Set 7 (Pdf 7Mb) l Set 8 (Pdf 3.7Mb)
Enquiries about Proposed Plan Change 21 can be made to Keegan Aplin-Thane, Policy Planner, on (06) 356 8199 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.