The single transferable voting (STV) electoral system is used for Palmerston North City Council elections. Under STV, electors rank candidates according to preference, rather than ticking the names of the candidates they wish to vote for. Electors may rank as few or as many candidates as they wish, regardless of the number required to be elected.
Elections are conducted by postal vote, with voting documents mailed to all electors whose names appear on the final electoral roll.
Special voting is available to electors:
- whose names do not appear on the final electoral roll, but who qualify as electors, i.e. the elector has enrolled after the closing of the electoral roll.
- who did not receive a voting document previously posted to them.
- who spoil or damage a voting document previously posted to them.
- whose names are on the unpublished electoral roll.
For more information about how elections are held in Palmerston North, please contact our electoral officer, John Annabell, telephone 06 356 8199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pre-election report 2016 492KB pdf