Think of every city you’ve visited. The city centre is usually front of mind in almost all memories of visiting or living in a city, right? That’s for a very good reason – and we’ve got a plan to make sure Palmy leaves that lasting impression whether you live here, shop here or are just visiting or passing through.
We want you to be proud of our city centre, have our businesses thriving, and for our visitors to be in awe of just how great Palmy is. More than 10,000 people visit our city centre each weekday, and we see far more people in the weekend. Bringing this vision to life involves a number of projects over a long period of time, but will result in our city humming, and our businesses thriving more than they are now.
All of the projects that form part of our City Centre Transformation have funding allocated in our 10-Year Plan.
So what does success look like?
- The look and feeling of having lots of people, and seeing daily visitor numbers increase.
- There is increased demand for floor space for entrepreneurs, creative industries and retailers wanting to be based in the heart of our city. A desire, and competition for space can act as an incentive to strengthen earthquake prone buildings faster than government requirements.
- More events that draw people into our city centre for fun, but also draw people into the area and support businesses.
- We want more of a nightlife, with businesses doing well after 5pm rather than closing their doors. We think Broadway is the most natural home for this.
Our residents and visitors help become ambassadors for the city through real life experiences by sharing stories, showing off their favourite spots to visitors and sharing experiences or images on social media.
- Plans for a new Transit Hub (urban bus terminal) are progressed.
More one-off short-term activities that provide a unique experience to draw people into the city centre.
- More people living in the city centre.