A creative and exciting city
A city that draws inspiration from the diversity within its culture and creates a vibrant urban environment that attracts creative and clever people, and nurtures creative talent.
Target: A score above 65 in the Creative Cities Index by 2031
Our goal is for Palmerston North to be a creative and exciting place to live. We want to offer a great lifestyle in a city that reflects the diversity of city communities.
We want to support the arts to flourish and our cultural institutions to thrive as they respond to our communities' needs and interests. We want everyone to have opportunities to be active and to experience the advantages of a big city without hassle and cost.
We want to...
- Provide accessible and well-maintained play, active recreation and sports facilities
- Support art organisations and cultural Council-Controlled Organisations (CCOs)
- Provide seed funding and support for people to improve public spaces
- Ensure Rangitāne o Manawatū history and aspirations are expressed in the city landscape
- Promote and celebrate local history and heritage buildings
Strategy and plans related to goal 2
Creative & Liveable City Strategy(PDF, 666KB)
Active Communities Plan(PDF, 477KB)
Arts & Heritage Plan(PDF, 980KB)
City Shaping Plan(PDF, 1MB)