No longer on display. Expired on
26 March 2021, 04:00 PM
Submissions are open until 4pm on Friday 26 March 2021
Notice of Requirement description:
KiwiRail is planning to replace its existing Palmerston North Freight yard with a new future-proofed intermodal rail and freight facility, called a Regional Freight Hub.
KiwiRail is seeking to designate land (i.e. reserve land for a specific use) under the Resource Management Act 1991 for the new Regional Freight Hub. The City Council must consider the notice of requirement for the designation, having regard to any submissions that are made, and make a recommendation on whether the requested designation should be put in place.
The proposed designation area is approximately 177.7 hectares, including some land that is already designated for the North Island Main Trunk rail line. The land is between Palmerston North Airport and Bunnythorpe, to the west of Railway Road and adjacent to the North Island Main Trunk rail corridor.
The activities that take place at KiwiRail’s Tremaine Avenue freight yard (apart from the passenger terminal and the network communications centre) would be relocated to the new site to form part of the new Regional Freight Hub. The Regional Freight Hub will also include:
- Marshalling yards (including tracks, signals, overhead line equipment and lighting)
- Container terminal
- Wagon storage
- Maintenance and network services facilities
- Freight forwarding facilities
- Log handling yard
- Bulk liquid storage
- Train control and rail operation centre, administration offices and carparking
- Staff facilities, including parking
- Access roads, and changes to existing road layouts and intersections
- Stormwater management areas with associated planting
- Noise management areas with associated planting
- Buildings and other activities ancillary to the freight hub.
In addition, the North Island Main Trunk rail line will be relocated to sit within the new designation area and directly adjacent to the Regional Freight Hub.
Where to get further information:
The Notice of Requirement, supporting information (including an assessment of environmental effects, related plans and site descriptions) and submission forms can be viewed on our website.
Hard copies are available at:
- The Customer Service Centre, Palmerston North City Council, The Square, Palmerston North
- The Palmerston North Public Library, The Square, Palmerston North
- The Ashhurst Community Library, Cnr Cambridge and Bamford Streets, Ashhurst
- Bunnythorpe School, 5 Baring Street, Bunnythorpe
- Feilding Library, Cnr Stafford and Bowen Streets, Feilding
Making a submission:
Any person can make a submission on the Notice of Requirement. However, a person who is a trade competitor of KiwiRail may only make a submission if they are directly affected by an effect of the activity to which the requirement relates that—
- adversely affects the environment; and
- does not relate to trade competition or the effects of trade competition.
Submissions need to be made in writing on the prescribed form and state whether or not you wish to be heard. Submissions made by email do not require a signature. Please note that submissions are public information. If the Council receives a request for the submissions under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, your submission will be made available.
Closing date for submissions:
Submissions are due by 4pm, Friday 26 March 2021:
- Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bring it to the Customer Service Centre, Palmerston North, or
- Post it to Democracy & Governance Manager, Palmerston North City Council, Private Bag 11-034, Palmerston North
You must serve a copy of your submission on KiwiRail as soon as reasonably practicable after serving your submission on the City Council. KiwiRail’s address for service is:
If you have questions about the Notice of Requirement or the submission process, please email email@example.com or ring (06) 356 8199 and ask for Craig Auckram, Senior Planner.