Each person takes part in the swearing-in process and is presented with their citizenship certificate by the Mayor. At the end of the ceremony, new citizens and guests are invited to join the Mayor and Councillors for morning or afternoon tea.
Ceremonies are held at the Palmerston North Convention Centre on Main Street. They start at either 10am or 2pm and last between 45 minutes and one hour.
Citizenship ceremony dates 2019
- Wednesday 13 February
- Wednesday 8 May
- Wednesday 7 August
- Wednesday 6 November
What happens at a citizenship ceremony?
- Opening address by the Mayor
- Candidates take the oath or affirmation
- Presentation of certificates
- Address by Member of Parliament for Palmerston North
- Address by representative of Rangitāne
- Singing of national anthem
How many guests may attend?
Each candidate for citizenship may bring two guests to the ceremony.
Candidates will be able to sit with their guests, and there is plenty of space available for pushchairs.
Applications for citizenship are managed by the Department of Internal Affairs. For more information, visit the govt.nz website.