Plan Change 15A-H contains the following topic areas:
A. Rural Zone and Rural Subdivision
B. Wind Farms and Landscapes
C. Boundary Change Area (the area formerly within the Manawatū District)
D. Flood Hazards
E. North East Industrial Zone and Extension Area
F. Braeburn Industrial Area (Longburn)
H. Airport Zone
Pursuant to an order from the Environment Court under section 86D of the Resource Management Act 1991 dated 30 March 2015, the Palmerston North City Council hereby gives notice that certain Rural subdivision rules set out in Proposed Plan Change 15A-H have taken legal effect as of 30 March 2015, being the date specified in the Environment Court Order.
Plan change purpose by topic area
15A Rural Zone and Rural Subdivision: A complete review of the Rural Zone provisions with a particular focus on rural-residential subdivision and the implementation of the Rural-Residential Land Use Strategy. Plan Change 15A proposes new resource management objectives and policies for rural subdivision and amends the rules and minimum lots sizes for rural subdivisions, generally as follows:
- The minimum lot area for rural subdivision is increased from 4 ha to 20 ha.
- Subdivision to create a small rural lot for a surplus dwelling is proposed.
- Rural residential subdivision is categorised as a Restricted Discretionary Activity with an associated non-notification clause. The current 1 ha minimum lot area is retained. The extent of the rural-residential subdivision overlay has been reduced.
- In the Aokautere Rural Residential Area, the minimum lot area is increased from 3,500 m2 to 5000 m2.
- A new subdivision policy is introduced for Moonshine Valley Rural Residential Area to reinforce the current minimum lot area of 1.5 ha.
- New provisions for on-site wastewater treatment systems are proposed.
- Small lot subdivision for horticultural activities (under 4 ha) is proposed for the Flood Protection Zone, but not for residential occupation.
- Other amendments are proposed to Sections 1 (General Introduction), 4 (Definitions), 5 Information Requirements), 7 (Subdivision) of the District Plan.
- General review and update to Section 9 of the District Plan (Rural Zone)
15B Wind Farms and Landscapes: The introduction of new planning provisions governing commercial and domestic-scale wind turbines and the spatial definition of the skyline of the Tararua Ranges and the Manawatu Gorge. The proposed amendments are summarised as follows:
- New resource management objectives and policies for renewable energy generation activities and for regionally Outstanding Natural Features and Landscapes.
- New Map 9.1: Tararua Ranges Landscape Protection Area.
- New Permitted Activity Performance Standards for Dwellings and Accessory Buildings in relation to a separation distance (1.5 km) from a wind turbine.
- Domestic-scale wind turbines are categorised as a Restricted Discretionary Activity.
- New Discretionary Activity Rule, Performance Standards and Assessment Criteria for Wind Farms and a new Non-Complying Activity Rule for Wind Farms.
- Related amendments are proposed to Sections 4 (Definitions), 5 (Information Requirements), 6 (General - Noise) and 7 (Subdivision) of the District Plan.
15C Boundary Change Area: Integration of the former Manawatu District Council boundary change area within the Palmerston North City District Plan. The proposed amendments are summarised as follows:
- Application of the updated Palmerston North Rural Zone and rural subdivision provisions.
- Application of equivalent zones in Longburn and Bunnythorpe, as identified on the Planning Maps.
- Amendments to Appendix 20A: Roading Hierarchy to update the roading classifications and the introduction of a new access standard in the Rural Zone.
- Amendments to Section 24 - Designations: Roll-over and modification of existing designations.
- The notification of three new Notice of Requirements, as follows:
- Horizons Regional Council: Existing stop-banks at various locations and the Flygers Line Floodway.
- Palmerston North City Council: The existing Longburn Public water Supply at Iti Street, Longburn and Bunnythorpe Cemetery at Maple Street, Bunnythorpe.
- The Ministry of Education: The Longburn Adventist College at Walkers Road, Longburn.
- Amendments to Section 17 - Cultural and Natural Heritage: Roll-over of existing heritage buildings.
- The listing of a new heritage object in Appendix 17A: Schedule of Buildings and Objects of Cultural Heritage Value, as follows: Railway Bridge Foundations, State Highway 56, Longburn.
- The effect of Plan Change 15C is that the Boundary Change Area will be subject to all components of the Palmerston North City District Plan, including the proposed provisions contained within Plan Change 15A-H which affect the Boundary Change Area.
15D Flood Hazards: A review of the Flood Protection Zone and the introduction of a Flood Prone Areas overlay, which represents those areas known to flood in a 200-year flood event. The proposed amendments are summarised as follows:
- The application of the Flood Protection Zone to the Flygers Line Floodway area.
- New land use and subdivision controls for development in Flood Prone Areas, including parts of Ashhurst which are not fully protected from a 200 year flood event, as identified on the Planning Maps.
15E North East Industrial Zone and Extension Area: A review of the existing North East Industrial Zone (NEIZ) provisions and a proposed 126ha extension to the NEIZ which is supported by a Structure Plan and specific planning provisions. The proposed amendments are summarised as follows:
- Amendments to objectives, policies and performance standards relating to subdivision in the NEIZ.
- Subdivision is categorised as a Restricted Discretionary Activity in the NEIZ Extension Area.
- Subdivision in the NEIZ seeking access from Richardsons, Roberts or Setters Line or subdivision in the NEIZ Extension Area without access to essential services is categorised as a Discretionary Activity.
- Any subdivision in the NEIZ Extension Area seeking access to Railway Road is categorised as a Non-Complying Activity.
- The introduction of new resource management issues, and amended NEIZ policies and performance standards relating to parking; landscaping; lighting; outdoor storage; licensed premises; air noise control and glare.
- Amendments and deletions to Controlled Activity rules and performance standards.
- The deletion of Restricted Discretionary rules relating to Wet Industries, Stormwater Detention Area, and Scheduled NEIZ sites.
- All development and activities in the NEIZ Extension Area is categorised as a Restricted Discretionary Activity with an associated non-notification clause.
- Any activity in the NEIZ Extension Area seeking access to Railway Road is categorised as a Non-Complying Activity.
- Development or raising of the level of land within Watercourse Reserves Areas and the existing NEIZ Stormwater Detention Area is categorised as a Non-Complying Activity.
15F Braeburn Industrial Area: A proposed 33 ha industrial extension at Longburn which is supported by site-specific planning provisions in the Industrial Zone. The proposed amendments are summarised as follows:
- New Industrial Zone subdivision objective and policies associated with the BIA.
- Subdivision in the BIA is categorised as a Non-Complying Activity.
- Amended Resource Management Issues and a new objective and policies associated with the BIA.
- New Permitted Activity performance standards for minor alterations and additions to buildings in the BIA.
- Development within the BIA is categorised as a Restricted Discretionary activity with an associated non-notification clause.
- Industrial activity within the BIA that is not a dairy related industrial activity or is not ancillary to a dairy related industrial activity is categorised as a Non-Complying Activity.
15G Utilities: A complete review of the Utilities Section of the District Plan which gives effect to relevant national planning directions and identifies the national electricity grid on the Planning Maps. The proposed amendments are summarised as follows:
- New Resource Management Issues, Objectives and Policies related to Utilities.
- Amendments to Permitted Activities related to transformers, poles, telecommunication and radio communication facilities and telephone cabinets.
- Amendments to Permitted Activity performance standards related to height, building size, aerials and antennas, cultural and heritage sites, radio frequency exposure and setbacks.
- New rules related to the National Grid Yard and National Grid Substations.
- New Prohibited Activity rules for the Runway End Protection Areas and Airport Protection Surfaces.
- New subdivision rules within the National Grid Subdivision Corridor and in close proximity to a National Grid Substation, as identified on planning maps.
- Amendments to related definitions and a series of new definitions.
15H Airport Zone: A complete review of the Airport Zone and associated planning controls which protect and provide for the ongoing operation and development of Palmerston North Airport. The proposed amendments are summarised as follows:
- New stand-alone Airport Zone Section of the District Plan.
- New Resource Management Issues, Objectives, Policies and Rules for the Airport Zone.
- Comprehensive Development Plan requirement for the streetscape design of roads in the Airport Zone.
- Review of the Air Noise Contours and associated provisions.
- New Prohibited Activity for proposed Runway End Protection Areas.
- New Sound emission controls for activities within the Airport Zone.
- Changes to Objectives and Policies related to aircraft noise within the Rural and Residential Zones.
- Within the Residential Zone amendments to the permitted activity performance standards related to Air Noise Control, deletion of Schedules P, Q and R, which relate to insulation requirements associated to air noise, and an update to Noise Map 10.7.6.3 to recognize the boundary change area.
- New Prohibited Activity related to the proposed Runway End Protection Areas in the Rural Zone.
- Amendments to related definitions and a series of new definitions.
Making a submission on Plan Change 15A-H
Please refer to the Public Notice below for full details on how to make a submission. The Council publicly notified Proposed Plan Change on Thursday, 29 January 2015. Submissions to the Plan Change must be lodged with the Council before 4pm on Wednesday, 4 March 2015.
The closing date for lodging submissions to Plan Change 15A-H is 4pm, Wednesday 4 March 2015.
Part 1: Proposed Plan Change 15 A-H
- Scope of Proposed Plan Change 15 A-H
- General Description of Proposed Plan Change 15A-H by Topic Area
- Summary of Proposed Amendments to the District Plan by Section
Part II: Section 32 Report
- Regulatory and Policy Context (by Topic Area 15 A-H)
- Evaluation of Alternatives and the Preferred Option (by Topic Area 15 A-H)
- Implementation of Preferred Option: Objectives, Policies and Methods (by Topic Area 15 A-H)
- Assessment of Proposed Zone / Overlay changes
- Statutory Evaluation and Summary
Appendix 1: Proposed District Plan Provisions
Section 1: General Introduction (PDF 1.4Mb)
Section 4: Definitions (PDF 1.9Mb)
Section 5: Information Requirements (PDF 1.3Mb)
Section 6: General (PDF 1.4Mb)
Section 7: Subdivision (PDF 5Mb)
Section 9: Rural (PDF 1.9Mb)
Section 10: Residential (PDF 2.5Mb)
Section 12: Industrial (PDF 1.6Mb)
Section 12A: North East Industrial Zone (PDF 2.4Mb)
Section 13: Airport (PDF 2.7Mb)
Section 17: Cultural and Natural Heritage (PDF 1.3Mb)
Section 19: Institutional Zone (PDF 1.2Mb)
Section 20: Transportation (PDF 6Mb)
Section 22: Natural Hazards (PDF 2.1Mb)
Section 23: Utilities (PDF 1.9Mb)
Section 24: Designations (PDF 1.6Mb)
Appendix 2: Proposed Planning Maps
Appendix 3: 15A Technical Reports
1 - Agriculture Sector Profile - PNCC (PDF 1.9Mb)
2 - Rural Residential Land Use Strategy - PNCC (PDF 1.8Mb)
3 - Rural Residential Subdivision Overlay: Analysis by Landscape Type - PNCC (PDF 1.5Mb)
4 - Rural Land Use and Productivity Position Paper Rural Subdivision Technical Report - PNCC (PDF 2.3Mb)
5 - Planning for Rural Residential Development in PN - Opus International Consultants Ltd (PDF 1.4Mb) - (Maps 1 to 3 page 244 to 246 of this attachment) (PDF 2Mb)
6 - Drivers of Change: Farmers Experience and Perceptions of Subdivision - Massey University (PDF 1.4Mb)
7 - District Plan Sectional Review - Infrastructure Provision - Rural and Industrial Growth - Good Earth Matters (PDF 7.7Mb)
8 - Moonshine Valley Landscape Assessment - PNCC (PDF 3.3Mb)
9 - Rural Noise Report - ACOUSAFE Noise Control Solutions (PDF 3.6Mb)
10 - NZDF Temporary Military Training Activities - ACOUSAFE (PDF 488Kb)
11 - Transportation Assessment - PNCC (PDF 2.9Mb) Attachment 5 - Kahuterawa Rd Assessment of Traffic and Development Issues - (Pdf 892Kb)
Appendix 4: 15B Technical Reports
1 - Palmerston North Landscape Inventory (2011) - Opus International Consultants Ltd, C Anstey, J Williams (PDF 3.3Mb)
2 - Landscape Management Palmerston North City (2013) - C Anstey (PDF 3.8Mb)
3 - Landscape Values and Planning Provisions Landscape Assessment Te Mata (2014) - C Anstey Landscape & Resource Planner (PDF 86Kb)
4 - Consent Order - One Plan (2014) - Environment Court (PDF 3.9Mb)
5 - Rural Noise Report (2014) - ACOUSAFE Noise Control Solutions (PDF 1.4Mb)
Appendix 5: 15C Technical Reports
1 - Written Notices from Requiring Authorities (PDF 5Mb)
2 - Heritage NZ - Heritage Buildings & Objects (PDF 7.6Mb)
3 - District Plan Change for Proposed PNCC and MDC Boundary Adjustment - Stage 1 : Discussion Document (2012) - Good Earth Matters (PDF 2.3Mb)
4 - Boundary Change Stage 2 - Workstream Four (Boundary Change Area) Summary Report (Part 1) (PDF 11Mb) (Part 2) (PDF 12Mb)
5 - Transportation Assessment (2013) - Senior Transport Engineer PNCC (PDF 3Mb)
Appendix 6: 15E Technical Reports
1 - Soils Capabilities Report for NEIZ Extension (February 2013) and Addendum Report (January 2014) - AgResearch (PDF 134K)
2 - Liquefaction Assessment, Interpretive Geotechnical Report and Desk Top Ground Contamination - Assessment Tonkin and Taylor (PDF 8Mb)
3 - Landscape Review (October 2013) and Addendum Report (August 2014) - Hudson Associates Landscape Architects (PDF 6Mb)
4 - Intersections Assessment Report (September 2014) - Traffic Design Group (PDF 2.6Mb)
5 - Integrated Services Report (August 2014) - Water and Waste Services Manager PNCC (PDF 1Mb)
6 - Stormwater Management and Mitigation Assessment Report - Stormwater Asset Engineer PNCC (PDF 461Kb)
7 - Noise Assessment (September 2014) - Acousafe Noise Control Solutions (PDF 143kb)
8 - Parking Standards Assessment (August 2014) - City Networks PNCC (PDF 1.2Mb)
9 - Palmerston North Industrial Activity (February 2014) Economic Policy Advisor PNCC (PDF 2Mb)
Appendix 7: 15F Technical Reports
1 - Liquefaction Assessment - Assessment Tonkin and Taylor (PDF 5Mb)
2 - Services Report (December 2014) - Good Earth Matters (Part 1) (PDF 6Mb) - Part 2 (PDF 2Mb) Part 3 (PDF 701Kb)
Appendix 8: 15H Technical Reports
1 - Graeme McIndoe of McIndoeURBAN: Urban Design Report Airport Zone (2014) (Urban Design Report) (PDF 2Mb)
2 - John Hudson of Hudson Associates Landscape Architects: Review of Landscape Provisions for Proposed Plan Change 12 Airport Zone (2012) (Landscape Report) (PDF 2Mb)
3 - Mark Tansley of Marketplace New Zealand Limited: Review of Amended Draft Commercial Provisions Within the Proposed Plan Change 15H (2014). (Commercial Report) (PDF 671Kb)
4 - Mark Tansley of Marketplace New Zealand Limited: Employment Trends 2006-2013 (2014). (Employment Trend Report) (PDF 1.2Mb)
5 - Nigel Lloyd of Acousafe Noise Control Solutions: Airport Zone Noise Review (2014). (Airport Zone Noise Report) (PDF 234Kb)
6 - Nigel Lloyd of Acousafe Noise Control Solutions: NZDF Temporary Military Training Activities (2014). (NZDF Noise Report) (PDF 202Kb)
7 - Nigel Lloyd of Acousafe Noise Control Solutions: Residential Zone Noise Provisions (2014). (Residential Noise Report) (PDF 229Kb)
8 - Air Biz: Review of Future Aircraft Noise Exposure (2014). (Air Noise Report) (PDF 1.8Mb)
9 - Glenn Connelly of City Networks, Palmerston North City Council: Plan Change 15H - Airport Zone Transportation Assessment (2014). (Transportation Assessment) (PDF 2.3Mb)
Enquiries about Plan Change 15A-H
Enquiries about Plan Change 15A-H can be made to the relevant Planning Officer listed below:
Phone / Email
|A: Rural Zone & Subdivision
B: Wind Farms & Landscapes
C: Boundary Change Area
D: Flood Hazards
|David Murphy||(06) 356 8199
|E: North East Industrial Zone & Extension Area
F: Braeburn Industrial Area (Longburn)
|Jonathan Ferguson-Pye||(06) 356 8199
H: Airport Zone
|Michael Duindam||(06) 356 8199