Council & City

Development Contributions Policy

If you’re planning a subdivision, an extension to a commercial building, or a property development, you may need to pay a development contribution fee. Development contributions help to fund new infrastructure like water, wastewater and stormwater, roads, parks and reserves.

The policy explores why development contributions are needed, what they fund, when they need to be paid, and what you’re likely to pay.

On this page you'll also find a guide to development contributions that provides a simple overview of the policy and answers some common questions, as well as the base fees used to calculate the contribution you'll pay to Council.

These documents include the base fees for the current year and past years, as well as Producers' Price Index (PPI) construction adjustments.

The 2007 Development Contributions Policy introduced the clause that if a development contribution isn’t paid within 12 months of the assessment being made, it will increase on 1 July each year by the amount of increase in the Producer's Price Index-Construction for that year. Where a development contribution was levied under the 2004 or 2006 polices, but hasn’t been paid, the amount payable is calculated using the base fees 2004 or base fees 2006 tables.

For policies after 2007, where a development contribution was levied but hasn’t been paid, the amount payable is calculated using the base fees 2007 and annual PPI adjustments or base fees 2009 and annual PPI adjustments tables tables.

These fees do not include GST.