The Council received 21 submissions on its proposal. Twenty submissions supported various elements of the Council’s proposal. Fifteen submissions contained objections to various elements of the proposal, as follows:
- ten submitters supported Councillors being elected on a ward basis
- three submitters expressed a preference for the Council to comprise fewer than 15 Councillors (other than the Mayor)
- nine submitters supported the establishment of communities or community boards
Having considered all the submissions, the Council resolved to adopt its initial proposal as the Council’s final proposal:
All Councillors to be elected on a citywide basis, that is, by the electors of the city as a whole, with no wards to be established.
The Council to comprise the Mayor and 15 Councillors.
No communities or community boards to be established in Palmerston North.
Reasons for decision
The reasons for the Council confirming its initial proposal and for the rejection of some submissions included the following.
The city comprises a single community of interest which covers the whole city. While the city also comprises many secondary communities of interest based on individual suburbs and villages, it would not be practicable for each community to be represented by an individual Councillor.
The proposed number of Councillors will enable the workload to be shared and will promote diversity.
The city does not include any communities that are sufficiently distinct or isolated as to require representation in the nature of community boards.
Any person who made a submission on the Council’s initial proposal may lodge an appeal against the Council’s decision. An appeal must relate to the matters raised in that person’s submission.
Appeals must be in writing and must be received by Council no later than Thursday 13 December 2018.
Appeals may be lodged:
- by mail, addressed to Team Leader Governance & Legal, Representation Review Appeals, Palmerston North City Council, PO Box 11034, Palmerston North 4442
- in person by delivery to the PNCC Customer Service Centre, 32 The Square
- by email to: email@example.com with the subject line “Representation Appeal”
- online: pncc.govt.nz/consultations
Further information, including copies of the Council’s resolutions and appeal form, are available from:
- Customer Service Centre, Palmerston North City Council, 32 The Square, Palmerston North
- Central Library (NZ Pacific Islands Zone), 4 The Square, Palmerston North
- The Ashhurst, Awapuni, Linton, Mobile, Roslyn and Te Pātikitiki Community Libraries
- Palmerston North City Council website: pncc.govt.nz/consultations
- Phone Council on 06 356 8199 and request a copy be posted to you
For any other queries regarding the Council’s decision, please contact John Annabell at the Council on 06 356 8199
Published in the Manawatū Standard on Saturday 10 November and in the Guardian on Thursday 15 November 2018.