Single Transferable Voting electoral system
- Election of the Mayor
- Election of 15 Councillors at large (city-wide)
Candidate names will be listed in alphabetical order on the voting papers.
Nominations open Friday 19 July
Nominations for the above positions open on Friday 19 July 2019 and must be made on the appropriate nomination paper for each position. Nomination papers and the candidate information handbook can be found either on the Council’s website, or by phoning the contact number provided. Completed nomination documents must be received by the electoral officer no later than 12 noon on Friday 16 August 2019. Each nomination must be accompanied by a deposit of $200 including GST, payable by Eftpos, cash or online banking. (see candidate handbook or nomination form for details).
Candidates are encouraged to submit a candidate profile statement and photograph for sending out with voting documents to electors. The requirements for profile statements and photos are set out in a candidate handbook which is available with the nomination papers.
All nomination documents must be lodged together. Candidates should refer to the candidate handbook for further details.
Inspecting the electoral rolls
Preliminary electoral rolls for the above elections can be inspected at the following locations during normal office hours from Friday 19 July 2019 to Friday 16 August 2019:
- Council customer service centre, 32 The Square, Palmerston North
- Central Library, 4 The Square, Palmerston North
- Ashhurst Library, 64 Bamfield Street, Ashhurst
- Awapuni Library, 96C College Street, Palmerston North
- Roslyn Library, 8 Kipling Street, Palmerston North
- Te Pātikitiki, 157 Highbury Avenue, Palmerston North
- Linton Camp Community Library, corner Bells Road and Puttick Road, Linton
- Mobile Library, various locations in Palmerston North
How to enrol or amend your enrolment details
Electors may enrol or amend their enrolment details on the residential electoral roll by:
- Completing an enrolment form available at postshops, public libraries or the Palmerston North City Council office
- Calling 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56)
- Visiting the Elections website
Updates to the preliminary electoral roll close at 5pm on Friday 16 August 2019.
Registering as a ratepayer elector
Applications for registration as a ratepayer elector are to be made on the non-resident ratepayer elector enrolment form available from the electoral officer or from the Council website and must be returned to the electoral officer before 5pm Friday 16 August 2019.
Electoral Officer – Palmerston North City Council
PO Box 3138, Christchurch 8140
Phone: 0800 300 126