It is proposed that the Council comprise 15 Councillors and the Mayor, all of whom are to be elected on a city-wide basis (that is, by the electors of the city as a whole), with no wards to be established. This is no change to the present arrangements.
The Council considers Palmerston North City comprises a single community of interest which covers the whole city. The city also comprises many secondary communities of interest based on individual suburbs and villages, but it would not be practicable for each community to be represented by an individual Councillor. The proposed number of Councillors will enable the workload to be shared and will promote diversity.
Community board representation
It is proposed that no communities or community boards be established in Palmerston North City.
This is no change to the present arrangements. The Council is satisfied that the city does not include any communities that are sufficiently distinct to require representation of this nature.
Further information is contained in a consultation document. This includes copies of the Council’s resolutions and a submission form, and is available from:
- Customer Service Centre, Palmerston North City Council, 32 The Square, Palmerston North
- Central Library (NZ Pacific Islands Zone), 4 The Square, Palmerston North
- The Ashhurst, Awapuni, Linton, Mobile, Roslyn and Te Pātikitiki Community Libraries
- The Palmerston North City Council website: pncc.govt.nz/consultations
- Phone Council on 06 356 8199 and request a copy be posted to you
An online submission form and related information is available on the Council’s website. For other enquiries, please phone Council on 06 356 8199.
Submissions are invited
Anyone with an interest in the proposed representation arrangements is invited to make written submissions on the Council’s representation proposal. Submitters should also clearly state whether they wish to appear before the Council to speak to their submission. Submissions will be heard at the Council meeting to be held at 9am Wednesday 24 October 2018, in the Council Chamber.
Submissions may be lodged:
- by mail, addressed to Team Leader Governance & Legal, Representation Review Submissions, Palmerston North City Council, PO Box 11034, Palmerston North 4442
- in person by delivery to the PNCC Customer Service Centre
- by email to: email@example.com with the subject line “Representation Submission”
- online: representation review
Submissions must be received by Council no later than Monday 8 October 2018.