Whāinga 4 | Goal 4
Target: A 30% reduction in CO2E emissions in Palmerston North by 2031 [from the 2018 baseline]
We understand that Palmerston North has a responsibility to respond to climate change for the benefit of everyone. Our goal is for Palmerston North to decrease carbon emissions and reduce our ecological footprint.
We want to protect and enhance our natural and built environments, accommodate growth through intensification, and support active transport.
We will work with our partners towards achieving our shared goals.
We want to...
- Increase the health and amenity of the Manawatū River environment
- Foster sustainable practices and behaviours
- Achieve the target of a 30% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2031
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions from Council’s own activities
- Work with iwi and community groups to re-establish bush and control introduced predators
- Delivery resource recovery services
- Maximise the proportion of waste diverted from landfill (for example, through recycling and composting)
- Manage hazardous waste in an environmentally responsible manner
- Provide wastewater services that minimise negative environmental impacts
- Provide safe and reliable water supplies
- Provide stormwater services to protect buildings from inundation from flooding in major events