Formed in 2004, the group exists today as a specific governance board for the Palmerston North safe community programme. It works as a collaborative network focusing on delivering and monitoring outcomes from our five key safety priorities.
The board also provides professional and operational advice, facilitates partnerships, works on the Safe Community Plan, consults the community when needed, identifies crime issues and analyses trends.
The Safety Advisory Board sits every six weeks, with the option of calling additional meetings as required. Membership is made up of representatives from:
- Palmerston North City Council (the Mayor as ex-offico member)
- Representative for the Mayor, who acts as the board chair
- Mana Whenua – Rangitāne
- New Zealand Police
- MidCentral District Health Board
- Accident Compensation Corporation
- Ministry of Social Development
- Massey University
- Oranga Tamariki— Ministry for Children
- New Zealand Defence Force
- Department of Corrections
- Palmerston North SafeCity Trust
Other members may be included in the group as required.
The board aims to assist Council, central government agencies and the community to set strategic direction around safety initiatives and:
- implement the Safe Community Plan
- ensure strategic planning takes a holistic approach
- set and oversee priorities, projects and activities
- monitor projects and activities by key performance indicators
Work with us
Strengthening coordination, resource sharing and continued support for safety among community organisations and our residents is one of our key priorities.
If you have any ideas or projects that can contribute to making our city safer and more connected, please get in touch with the Safety Advisory Board to discuss how we can support you. Email email@example.com