How the scheme works
You need to meet the criteria below.
- You must have had a dog registered for the last 12 months and any dogs you have are registered with Palmerston North City Council. If you’ve just moved to Palmerston North the 12 months registration can apply to a different council.
- The place where your dog lives has been inspected by one of our animal control officers and you have been interviewed about your understanding of dog laws.
- The animal control officer has approved your dog’s fencing, sleeping quarters and exercise space.
- You haven’t had more than one dog impounded or found roaming in the last 12 months.
- If we've received no more than one substantiated complaint about your dog or dogs in the last 12 months.
- You’ve paid dog registration fees on time.
- There is access to a door on the property without your dog(s) being able to approach people when they enter.
As a preferred owner you will need to tell us if you move house within 14 days of moving, as we will have to inspect your new property.
The animal control officer’s assessment will include the welfare of the dog, public health issues and public nuisance issues including:
- preventing unplanned pregnancies
- arrangements for leaving dog(s) unattended
- arrangements while on holiday
- facilities for breeding (if applicable)
- arrangements for people entering your property
- obedience training
- arrangements for dealing with faeces
- feeding arrangements and type of food provided
- standards of hygiene
- access to fresh clean drinking water
How to apply
You can apply at any time during the year by calling us on 06 356 8199. Property inspections happen before your registration is renewed, so that applicable registration fees can be applied. You don’t have to be onsite for the inspection and we will let you know the outcome in writing.