Local Regulations and Licences

Environmental regulations

We enforce a number of environmental rules and regulations from national legislation and local bylaws.

Abandoned vehicles

Abandoned vehicles are covered by the Local Government Act 1974

A car, trailer, truck or other vehicle may be considered abandoned if it:

  • is parked on a road or public place and has been there for a long time, and/or the vehicle is not known to local residents
  • is in a state of disrepair, un-roadworthy or looks wrecked
  • has no recent vehicle registration label, warrant of fitness or license plates.

Vehicles on private property are not considered abandoned.

Removing abandoned vehicles

We will take the following action with abandoned vehicles:

  • Attach a notice to the vehicle requesting it be moved within 10 working days, and make reasonable attempts to contact the owner.
  • Contact Police to find out if the vehicle is stolen.
  • If it isn’t stolen, and the owner still hasn’t been identified or can’t be contacted, the vehicle will be removed and stored. A letter will be sent to the last known registered owner telling them what has happened and requesting the vehicle be claimed. A fee will need to be paid to Council before the vehicle can be collected.
  • If after 28 days the owner still can’t be contacted and/or if no contact has been made to Council, the vehicle may be destroyed or placed for tender.
  • The last registered owner will be invoiced to help recover costs and any money received from tender will be offset against expenses. If the proceeds from sale don’t cover expenses, the last known registered owner will be billed.
  • If the vehicle is stolen, Police will advise Council case by case.

Vehicles that are considered a total wreck and of little value will be towed and dumped immediately. Where possible, the last known registered owner will be liable for all costs.

Illegal rubbish dumping

Illegal dumping of rubbish is covered by the Litter Act 1979

It is an offence to dump rubbish of any kind in public places, on the roadside or in parks and reserves. We will investigate anyone dumping rubbish and may take enforcement action.

If you see rubbish that has been dumped, or people dumping rubbish, please contact us so we can investigate. It is very helpful if you can provide details such as the date, time, location and vehicle registration number.

Rubbish in bags placed on the roadside for collection earlier than collection day or after collection day is also littering. People who do this will be investigated by Council and enforcement action may be taken.

Trees, shrubs, plants and vegetation

We are responsible for maintaining vegetation on Council owned land and in public places, parks and reserves.

Property owners are responsible for the upkeep of their own property and are responsible for any nuisance or damage that their vegetation causes to neighbouring properties.

We don’t get involved with disputes between neighbours, and suggest you talk openly to find a solution that works for both parties. For more information on your rights, contact Citizens Advice Bureau

Trees and shrubs over footpaths

Trees and shrubs overhanging footpaths come under the Local Government Act 1974

All overgrowth and shrubs must be trimmed back clear of the footpath edge, with a clearance of 2.1 metres of overhanging growth above the footpath for pedestrians and other footpath users.

If you have garden growth that is getting in the way of footpath users and doesn’t meet this criteria, we will send you a letter giving you one month to cut it back. If the overgrowth isn’t cut back within that time, a contractor will be engaged to complete the work at the owner's expense.

Removing fire hazards

Removing fire hazards comes under the Local Government Act 2002

All growth that is likely to become a source of fire danger must be cut down, eradicated or removed. If you have growth that is likely to become a fire hazard, we will send you a notice giving you one month to eradicate the hazard. If you don't comply within that timeframe, we'll engage a contractor to complete the work at your expense.