News & Events

41 Te Awe Awe Street - House

41-Te -Awe -Awe -Street

Building Details

Address: 41 Te Awe Awe Street, House
Construction date: 1930
Architect/designer: Helmore and Cotterill
Architectural style: Neo-Georgian
District Plan Category: 2
Building number: 80
Heritage NZ Category: Nil

Physical and Social History 

The original plans for this house are dated 6 June 1930 (Permit 412). While the owner (doubtless JH Johnston) was not identified on the plans, the architects were Helmore & Cotterill of Christchurch, and the builder was Spicer Bros Ltd of Palmerston North.

There is nothing else recorded on the Building Permit files.

CT WN186/127 (1909) indicates that this land had belonged to Flora Emily Pascal, wife of Jean Baptiste Marius Pascal, a farmer of Awahuri, from at least that time. In the late 1920s she subdivided the property and in 1930 part of this property was sold to James Hope Johnston, a settler of Palmerston North. He further subdivided the property in 1954 and sold off part of it, but retained the house. He died on 13 June 1959 aged 67 years, described in the Terrace End Cemetery records as a clerk of this address.

Later in 1959, the property was passed by transmission to solicitor Frank George Opie as executor. The property was again subdivided in 1974 and part was sold off.

CT WN12C/1314 was issued in 1974, to cover the unsold balance of the property, to JH Johnston's widow, Margot Ernestine Hannah Johnston.

She died on 25 January 1980, aged 68 years, and the property was then transmitted to Kevin John O'Sullivan and Charles John Andrews, solicitors of Palmerston North, as executors, and then later that year it was transferred to Douglas Miller Hay, university lecturer, and Helene Philippa Christine Hay.

Architectural Design 

The house is an archetypal neo-Georgian styled house, a style Helmore and Cotterill made their own in numerous houses throughout New Zealand.  Both architects visited American examples of Georgian architecture when travelling to England in 1920 and then Helmore cemented an understanding of the style when working for Edwin Lutyens, who was designing neo-Georgian houses at the time.

The two storied house has a moderately pitched gable roof, with the ridge parallel to the street.  A small single storied gabled laundry extends to the east of the house.

As is typical of the style, the house is rectangular in form with a simple floor plan.  A centrally located front door leading to a an entry porch with cloak cupboard.  The porch is an enclosed room separated from a central stair and hall.  Off the hall to the west is the living room extending the width of the house, with kitchen and dining room to the east.  The laundry is accessed from the kitchen.  The rear of the hall leads to a central verandah. 

The first floor plan has a four bedrooms and bathroom all accessed off the central stair hall.

The moderately pitched gable roof, symmetrical elevations with subtle Classical details are characteristics of the neo-Georgian style as are the windows are small paned double hung sash with shutters.  Other typical details on the house include a flat roofed canopy to the central front door has console brackets and simple fluted pilasters.  In sympathy with American examples, the main framing and cladding are timber.

The house was constructed in 1939, at a time when contemporaries, such as fellow Christchurch architect Paul Pascoe and local Palmerston North architect, Bernard Cox, were designing using Modern Movement principles.

Statement of Significance 

The house has local significance for its historical and design values, representivity of style and high level of external authenticity.

The house has historical and design values as a Palmerston North example of the neo-Georgian houses of Christchurch firm, Helmore and Cotterill.  The house uses timber framing and cladding common in the American versions of the style.  The house is a good local representative example of the style and has external authenticity of design.

Additional References
Certificate of title WN12C/1314 (1974), prior WN611/79