The Creative Communities Scheme is a partnership between Council and Creative New Zealand. It helps fund local arts projects to create opportunities for people to engage with and participate in arts activities.
“The city has a thriving arts and cultural scene and Creative Communities is a big part of fostering this. It enables and encourages the community to get involved and we see this demonstrated in that hundreds of local arts and cultural groups have benefited from the scheme,” says Debbie Duncan, General Manager of PNCC Libraries and Community Services.
A total of $51,459 was allocated in the first funding round held in September 2017 and a further $50,324 in the second round, in March 2018.
Palmerston North’s Centrepoint Theatre will host the 2018 National Theatresports Championship, thanks to local improv comedy group SpontaneoUS.
SpontaneoUS took out the top spot in last year’s competition and are out to defend their title on home turf. The event will see New Zealand’s best improvisation groups descend on Manawatū to compete for the coveted title of National Theatresports Champions.
SpontaneoUS Creative Director Leona Revell says: “We’re beyond excited to bring the National Theatresports Championships to Palmerston North. This is an incredible opportunity to bring the best New Zealand improvisers to our region. We want to showcase Palmerston North as an arts powerhouse.”
Visit pncc.govt.nz/creativecommunitiesscheme for more on the Creative Communities Scheme.
The next funding round opens in August this year.
Successful applicants for Creative Communities funding
Round 1: September 2017
- Adriana Martins da Silva
- Anna Bailey
- Tony Reddrop, Kam Donnelly, Jane Mooney
- Community Arts Palmerston North
- Boom Events NZ
- The Hokowhitu Village Centre Inc
- Karen Hunter
- Karen Jody Seccombe
- Manawatū Multicultural Council
- Manawatū Overtones Chorus
- Manawatū Summer Shakespeare
- NZCF Manawatū-Whanganui
- Performing Arts Competitions Assn of NZ
- Palmerston North Dance Assn
- PN Operatic Society (Abbey Theatre)
- Rangiwahia Environmental Arts Centre Trust
- Samba ao Vento Inc
- The Comedy Hub
- Te Kahui Whatu Raranga ki Maererikiriki
- Te Wakahuia Manawatū Trust Hauora
- Studio on the Square
Round 2: March 2018
- Manawatū Jazz Club
- Dion Martin
- Aaron McLean
- Unity Singers Choir
- Diana Neild
- Manawatū Youth Orchestra Inc
- Wahine o te Manawatū Artists
- Renaissance Singers Inc
- Jenna Kelly
- Karen Jody Seccombe
- Snails Artist Run Space
- David Clegg
- Turitea School
- WagonWheels Country Music Group
- Jeanine Gribbin
- Taipari Waaka
- Te Wanau A Mataliki, Pukapuka Community
- The Little Vixen – Studio and Gallery
- Community Arts Palmerston North Inc
- Graham Johnston