Submissions on this proposal closed at 4pm on Monday 6 September.
Council is scheduled to hear oral submissions on Tuesday 21 September.
Under the Local Electoral Act 2002, a representation review looks at our representation arrangements – the structure of our elected members and how they are elected.
What we're proposing
We’ve put together an initial proposal from feedback received during early engagement with our community. We think the proposal delivers fair and effective representation, but we need more input from you to make sure we've got it right for everyone.
The initial proposal is:
- 15 councillors and 1 mayor
- 13 councillors to be elected by general electoral roll voters in Te Hirawanui General Ward
- 2 councillors to be elected by Māori electoral roll voters in the Te Pūao Māori Ward
- to remain an “at-large” Council, where councillors represent the whole city
- not to establish any geographic wards
- not to establish any Community Boards.