Palmerston North City Council has adopted a number of policies which allow it to consider applications for remitting or postponing rates.
A rates remission reduces or wipes out a rates bill. This enables us to mitigate the effects of any inequities in our rating system, promote social wellbeing, and help conserve our city's natural, historic and cultural resources.
Reasons why rates may be remitted or postponed include:
- providing relief from rates to charitable organisations where the land is used principally for sporting, recreation or community purposes
- contributing to city sustainability through providing relief to property owners who have voluntarily protected land or buildings of natural or cultural heritage value
- postponing payment if ratepayers are experiencing severe financial hardship
- reducing wastewater charges for schools
- ensuring homeowners who live in commercial or industrial zoned areas are not unduly penalised
Applications for remission are considered annually. Organisations must reapply each year.
Find out more about the policies that guide the remission and postponement of rates in this extract from our 10-Year Plan: Rates remission and postponement policies (PDF, 138KB)
If you think your organisation might qualify for rates remission, please contact Customer Services for information about how to apply.