SuperGold card parking permit
If you've got one of our SuperGold card parking permits, you can park free in the central city from 9am until noon on weekdays.
You must be a Palmerston North ratepayer or resident to apply.
SuperGold card parking permits are available to from the Council customer service centre on the Square. They are valid for a calendar year (January to December) and cost $10.
To apply, bring in your SuperGold card and a current driver's licence.
You must display a valid permit in your car to qualify for the free parking.
Mobility parking permit
Mobility Parking Permits are administered by CCS Disability Action.
Motorists displaying a valid mobility parking permit while parking in Palmerston North, are entitled to an additional 60 minutes of time per space following your initial payment in a metered space. You must pay when parking in a metered space.
Short term parks such as P5, P10, P15, P30 Loading Zones are excluded - the Permit holder must comply with all other road rules.
Event organisers must apply at least three weeks in advance for parking exemptions.
For each metered parking space required for use during an event, a fee of $5 per space per day is payable.
Depending on the type of event or complexity of site set up, a traffic management plan may also be required. To ensure you meet all requirements for use of the road during your event, please make your request in writing to email@example.com
Private vehicle sales
'For Sale' permits are available for private sale (by individuals) of motor vehicles at the eastern end of Memorial Car Park. The criteria under which they are issued are:
- The applicant must visit the Customer Service Centre (CSC) to apply for and pick up the permit
- Applicants must produce their driver's licence as identification
- Applicants must know registration plate of vehicle being sold
- Applicants are limited to a maximum of four vehicle sales per annum, the number of permits required to sell four vehicles is limitless
- Permits will not be issued if there are any special event/activities taking place at Memorial Park in the upcoming seven days which will restrict public parking for the purpose of selling a private motor vehicle
- The area designated for the purpose of private motor vehicle sale is located at the eastern end of Memorial Park Car Park and has a total number of 50 car park spaces
- The Council shall not be held responsible for any damage or theft to vehicles parked at the designated area by the applicant(s)
- Once the permit is issued, the applicant then has the authority under the PNCC Signs and Public Spaces Bylaw to park a motor vehicle in the Memorial Park Car Park for the designated time period as stated on their permit
- The issued permit must be displayed in the front windscreen of the vehicle for sale so that it can be clearly sighted by parking wardens/inspectors or other authorised PNCC staff
- Permit charges are $10 (including GST) per calendar week (including any statutory holidays) commencing at 12pm (noon) on Friday and expiring at 12pm (noon) on the following Friday (regardless of the day of purchase)
- There is no allowance for any per day charge for the Permit.
Contractors who can meet certain criteria can apply for a meterboard. A meterboard lets you park in metered spaces for longer than the specified time. The criteria under which they are issued are:
- The charge for a meterboard is $9 per day per space, and $4.50 per half day per space. A meterboard can be purchased for a full year at a cost of $750 per annum with approval from Roading Manager. A $5 administration charge is applicable for all requests of invoicing. If the applicant appears on the Bad Debtor List we require cash up front before the meter-board is uplifted
- The applicant must visit the Customer Service Centre to apply for and pick up the meter-board
- The applicants are owners or operators of trade vehicles associated with building renovation or maintenance of business premises. Skip bins or heavy machinery are also included in this category. This includes all contractors who work for Council
- Maximum issue period for meterboards is twelve months, unless approved by the Roading Manager
- One meterboard is issued for each parking space, unless approved by the Street Opening Engineer of the Roading Division. In these specific situations, the expanded parking area is defined within the contractors Traffic Management Plan
- Once issued, the applicant has approval for their vehicle to park in any Palmerston North City Council Metered Car Park or parking area restricted by time. The meterboard should be displayed in the front windscreen of the vehicle or attached to the skip bin or machinery so it can be clearly sighted by parking officers.