The reserve is a remnant of the original bush that early European settlers named the "Ninety Mile Bush" – so called because it extended for ninety miles from lower Wairarapa to North of this park. Visitors will get an impression of what these settlers faced when they arrived from Denmark, Sweden and Norway – an almost impenetrable forest.
History of Te Motu o Poutoa
Poutoa was an ancestor of Rangitāne. His descendants include Paewai, Te Awe Awe, Te Rangiotu and other families.
The land was purchased from Kairanga County Council as Anzac Park in 1916. It is assumed that at some point prior to this date, the Patriotic Society renamed the park.
From 1962-63, the site changed significantly. A ridge was lowered 20 metres to form the plateau that exists today and in 1964-65, a lookout station, car park and picnic spots were formed. The Palmerston North Astronomical Society observatory was built in 1971.
Te Motu o Poutoa will be co-managed by Council and Rangitāne as partners following the adoption of the Kawenata in Relation to Te Motu o Poutoa.
On leash throughout.
Road access hours
The road barrier opens at 7am and closes at 6pm every day.
Note: The walking track to the top of the reserve is accessible all the time.
Cliff Road, Palmerston North