Summer movie nights
Published on 08 December 2022
Summer means warmer nights and outdoor films in parks around the city. And this summer, we’re offering you the opportunity to plan and lead your own movie night for your community – with our support.
Keen to host a movie night? Here’s what you need to know
We’re inviting expressions of interest from groups who are keen to host a movie night between February and March 2023.
The event will need to meet the following criteria:
• Take place between Monday and Friday
• Be open to the community
• Be family-friendly
• Be free or low cost for whānau
If this sounds like something you or your organisation are interested in, then please fill out an expression of interest through our online portal. We will be in touch with you shortly after we receive it.
Submit your expression of interest
Funding available to help cover costs
We will pay for the cost of the screen and the movie licence fee. We can also provide reasonable funding for things like popcorn, ice blocks, and koha for volunteers.
Registered Charities or Incorporated Societies can apply to Council directly to run a movie night.
If you are not a registered group, you can talk to us about finding a group that can help.
What you need to do if your application is successful
Plan the event:
• Book the park or reserve
• Complete a health and safety plan
• Choose a movie, organise the movie licence, and book the screen
• Organise advertising and promotion
• Organise the kai
• Create a site map for the event (i.e. where everything will be placed in the park)
• Develop an event day checklist and run sheet
On the day:
• Organise the event set up
• Oversee the successful running of the event
• Pack down and clean up after the event
We’re here to help at every stage
A Council community development advisor will be able assist with every stage of the event, from applying for funding to planning and holding the event.
If you’ve any questions or would like to talk to us about your ideas, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Contact: Ahmed Obaid, Community Development Advisor
Phone: 06 356 8199