Mayoral Relief Fund
If you or someone you know is in extreme financial distress, you may be able to seek help from the Mayoral Relief Fund.
The fund provides one-off assistance where real need is shown. It is provided as a last resort, when applicants have exhausted all other sources of relief funding, including Work and Income.
How the fund works
This fund is only available to families and individuals who are living within the Palmerston North City Council catchment area.
As everyone's circumstances are unique, the criteria for different kinds of assistance may vary. The Mayor's Office has full discretion regarding the fund's distribution.
Applicants can only apply once within a 12-month period.
The type of relief funding provided is for:
- reconnecting essential utilities or covering outstanding bills on properties with young
- children and/or older people family or personal crisis
- buying food as a result of an emergency
- homelessness as a result of an emergency
- utility bills, accommodation, and payment of outstanding invoices will be paid by Council to the organisation directly if and when an application is approved.
Relief funding is not available for any kind of travel.
The Mayor's Office will review all applications, inform all applicants of the outcome and arrange payment (if applicable).
How to apply
Download the application form or pick one up from our Customer Service Centre. If you need a form sent out to you, please call us on 06 356 8199.
Mayoral Relief Fund application form(PDF, 397KB)
The application form needs to be returned to the Customer Service Centre on the Square, or sent to:
Mayoral Welfare Fund
C/- The Mayor
Private Bag 11034
Palmerston North 4442