Parking permits and exemptions
If you have a SuperGold card, a mobility parking permit, are running an event, selling a car or are a contractor, you may be eligible for free parking or lower charges.
SuperGold card parking permit
If you've got one of our SuperGold card parking permits, you can park free in any metered carpark from 9am until 3pm, Monday to Friday (these hours were extended in September).
You must display a valid permit in your car to qualify for the free parking. The permit does not exempt you from time limits or other parking rules.
SuperGold card parking permits are available from the Council Customer Service Centre on the Square. They are valid for a calendar year (January to December) and cost $10.
To apply, bring in your SuperGold card and a current driver's licence. Note, you must be a Palmerston North ratepayer or resident to apply.
Extended hours for SuperGold card parking permits
In early September, Council decided to extend the hours these permits could be used. The new hours are 9am to 3pm on weekdays.
If you already have a permit you can keep using it like normal, and you don’t need to do anything else. Permits for 2024 will be updated to reflect the new times.
If you don’t have a permit, you can visit our Customer Service Centre to purchase one for 2024.
Mobility parking permit
If you display a valid mobility parking permit in your car, you get an extra 60 minutes free per space as long as you've activated the meter with a payment. Short-term parks such as P5, P10, P15, P30 and loading zones are excluded.
Mobility parking permits are issued to you, not your car. You can use it in any car as long as it's clearly displayed in the dashboard.
They're valid for a calendar year (January to December) and administered by CCS Disability Action and Sommerville Disability Support Services.
To apply, contact either organisation.
Meter access cards available for all mobility parking permit holders
If you have a mobility parking permit, you can also apply for a meter access card. The card enables you to park free in metered areas, except the short-term parks listed above.
Meter access cards are issued annually for a specific vehicle and can't be used in more than one car. The current cost is $45 every calendar year.
To qualify for free parking, display the card in your authorised vehicle, alongside a valid mobility parking permit.
To apply for a meter access card, please visit our Customer Service Centre on the Square.
Residential parking permit
This free permit is for people who live in a street with parking time limits. Displaying a valid permit in your car exempts you from the time limits.
Please note, this is not for streets with metered parking.
To apply, visit our Customer Service Centre on the Square. You’ll need to bring the following things with you:
- Proof of address (a bank statement or utility bill etc)
- Driver’s licence
- Vehicle details (make, model, proof of vehicle registration and owner’s name)
We’ll also need your contact phone number or email address.
Alternatively, you can email the information to us: email@example.com
Residential parking permits are valid for a calendar year (January to December). You need to renew your permit annually.
To do this, simply give us a call on 06 356 8199 to confirm your details are still the same. Then we'll get your new permit ready for you to pick up from our customer service centre. If any of your details have changed, please re-apply as outlined above.
Parking exemptions for events
Event organisers must apply at least three weeks in advance for parking exemptions.
For each metered parking space required for use during an event, a fee of $5 per space per day is payable.
Depending on the type of event or complexity of site set up, a traffic management plan may also be required. To ensure you meet all requirements for use of the road during your event, please make your request in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
For sale permit for private vehicle sales
If you've got one of our for sale permits, you can park a motor vehicle for private sale at the eastern end of the carpark at Memorial Park, on Main Street. The criteria under which these permits are issued are:
- Applicants must visit Council's Customer Service Centre to apply for and pick up the permit
- Applicants must produce their driver's licence as identification
- Applicants must know the registration plate of the vehicle being sold
- Applicants are limited to a maximum of four vehicle sales a year. The number of permits required to sell four vehicles is limitless
- Permits will not be issued if there are any special event/activities taking place at Memorial Park in the upcoming seven days which will restrict public parking for the purpose of selling a private motor vehicle
- The area designated for the purpose of private motor vehicle sale is located at the eastern end of the Memorial Park carpark and has a total number of 50 parking spaces
- The Council shall not be held responsible for any damage or theft to vehicles parked at the designated area
- Once the permit is issued, the applicant then has the authority under Council's Signs and Public Spaces Bylaw to park a motor vehicle in the Memorial Park carpark for the designated time period as stated on their permit
- The issued permit must be displayed in the front windscreen of the vehicle for sale so that it can be clearly sighted by parking wardens/inspectors or other authorised PNCC staff
- Permit charges are $10 (including GST) per calendar week (including any statutory holidays) commencing at 12pm on Friday and expiring at 12pm on the following Friday (regardless of the day of purchase)
- There is no allowance for any per day charge for the permit.
Contractor parking permit (meterboards)
A contractor parking permit enables tradies to park in metered spaces for longer than the specified time. It’s great if you’re working on a building in the central city and need easy access to your truck for tools. You can also use this permit to park skip bins and heavy machinery.
Short-term parks such as P5, P10, P15, P30 and loading zones are excluded and all road rules apply – you can’t reverse into an angle park, or park on the footpath.
Please ensure you display the permit at all times so it can be clearly sighted by parking officers.
The contractor parking permit costs $9 a day per space, or $4.50 per half-day (until 1pm), plus a $5 application fee. You can either pay for your permit up front, or via a monthly invoice.
To apply, visit our Customer Service Centre on Te Marae o Hine The Square. You’ll need to bring in evidence of your trade – for example, a business card or job sheet – and a purchase order if you'd like us to send you an invoice.