Fish and chip Friday: a Kiwi classic
Published on 13 December 2019
It's no question fish and chip Friday is an iconic touchpoint in the week. Not only does it herald the beginning of the weekend for most, for many Kiwi families it's a tradition that gets passed down from generation to generation. So we made it our mission to find the best fish and chip shop in Palmy, as voted by you.
Our Facebook readers submitted more than 600 recommendations for their pick of best fish and chip shops in Palmerston North. We tallied them all up to narrow it down to the top five.
Top five fish and chip shops in Palmy
- Mr Seafood is Palmy's best fish and chip shop. Located at 709 Main Street, this shop offers a wide and fresh variety of seafood. Locals say it's "good value" for the city.
- Ascot Takeaways is a close runner-up for the crown of Palmy's best. Coeliacs rejoice in their gluten-free options. Scoop it up at 33 Ascot Street.
- Cook Street Chinese Takeaways also has a fresh selection of fish, and the crumbed fish is high on the recommendation list. Find it at the corner of Cook and Ferguson Streets.
- Awapuni Takeaways is a perfect option for locals who don't want to drive into the CBD for their Friday fry-up. This shop offers remarkable service and yummy fish. It's at 40 Alexander Street.
- Mork & Mindy's Food "To Go" has fans who've travelled across the city to visit them every week for years because of the size and freshness of the kai. Get your fix at 349 Featherston Street.
No matter where you prefer to pick up your scoop, you can count on the fact there'll be a great park nearby where you can relax on the grass and tuck in (and maybe walk it off afterwards!).