Restricted building work and LBPs

Restricted building work is design or construction work that is critical to making a home structurally sound and weathertight. You must use licensed building practitioners (LBPs) to design and carry out or supervise this work.

LBPs are registered and required to keep their skills and knowledge up to date, and they are licensed for the type of work they do. Your choice of designer, builder or tradesperson is important as not all building practitioners are licensed.

The rules about restricted building work are part of Council's role in consenting and inspecting building work. This protects you and future owners by creating a record of who did what on your home and how it meets the building code.

Your building consent application must include the names and registration numbers of all of the LBPs involved in your project. Under the law, each LBP who works on your home must provide a certificate of design work or record of building work.

LBP certificate of design work (form 2a)

Guide to completing the certificate of design work form

LBP record of work [form 6a]

Guide to completing the record of work form

Owner-builder exemption

Owner-builders are able to carry out restricted building work on their own home. Applications need to include a statutory declaration from the owner. To see if you qualify as an owner-builder, to learn more about the owner-builder exemption, or to download the statutory declaration form, please refer to the guidance on the government's Building Performance website.

TIP: When you apply for building consent, or before work starts, you'll need to tell us which licensed tradespeople you'll be using, using the notification form below. You won't be able to book a building inspection until you've provided this.

Trade licensed building practitioner notification form(PDF, 46KB)