Apply for resource consent


If you want to build on or use your land in a way that doesn't comply with the District Plan, you'll need to get permission from Council. This is called a resource consent. On this page, find out when you need resource consent, how to apply, and what's involved.

When you need resource consent

You need a resource consent if you want to build on or use your land in a way that doesn't comply with the District Plan.

For example, you may need a resource consent if you're planning to:

  • construct a new building or make additions or alterations to an existing building
  • change a building's or property's use
  • subdivide a property
  • prune, remove or work near a protected tree
  • carry out earthworks
  • erect a sign

If you're building close to a boundary and you have the neighbouring owners' written approval, you may apply for a deemed permitted boundary activity. In some circumstances you may need to apply for an instant resource consent.

If you meet all the rules, you won't need a resource consent. However, you can apply for a certificate of compliance, where Council certifies that you comply with all the relevant rules of the District Plan.

If you're applying for resource consent to subdivide a property, build a dwelling or non-residential building, relocate a house or connect services to an existing site, you may need to pay a development contribution.

Find out if your plans need resource consent

It's a good idea to speak to one of our duty planning officers about whether you need consent and which one is the right one for your activity. They can answer any questions you may have about your application and ensure you have everything you need to apply. Or, you can seek advice from a private planning consultant.

How to apply

When you are ready to apply for resource consent, download the application form at the bottom of this page. If you'd prefer us to send you one in the post, please email or phone 06 356 8199

You'll also need to provide a written assessment of environmental effects. Your assessment should detail any likely adverse effects of your proposal on the land or environment, and how you will avoid, mitigate or remedy them. The size of the assessment should be in line with the scale of the project. To learn how to do that please check out the government guidance: A guide to preparing a basic assessment of environmental effects

For further advice, and in most complex cases, you may wish to take advice from a planning consultant. There are a variety of options in the region that can be sourced through an internet search.

You can submit your application by email to

You will then be given a resource consent reference number. 

Paying for your resource consent

We will invoice you on a monthly basis beginning the first full month after you have applied for your consent. 

Please pay by internet banking to our Westpac account: 03-0726-0330770-00 

  • Particulars: RC application reference number. For example, RC 123456
  • Code: First initial, last name or company name
  • Reference: RC address. For example, 78 Example Street.

Please take care to ensure the payment is correctly referenced.

What it costs

Refer to the latest planning fees and charges.

How long it takes

The statutory timeframe for processing a resource consent is 20 working days. We may extend the timeframe under section 37 of the Resource Management Act. If we have to contact you for more information to help us process your application, we 'stop the clock' and put your application on hold until we have received it.

In some circumstances your proposed activity may qualify for a fast-track resource consent, which will be processed within 10 working days. See if your activity qualifies:

Activities that qualify for fast-track consent(PDF, 12KB)

Frequently asked questions about resource consents

Do I have to tell my neighbour or anyone else about my proposal?

It is courteous to talk to your neighbours when you have a proposal in mind or before starting construction. However, you're not legally required to unless Council considers your neighbours to be affected by your proposal.

Can I stop my neighbour's proposal going ahead?

If the project is permitted by District Plan rules, you have no legal ability to become involved. However, you can contact us for more information about a proposal. If you are concerned about your neighbour's proposal, we recommend you talk to them about your concerns.

How long does my resource consent last?

You must implement your consent within five years or any other time specified in the consent, otherwise the consent will lapse. You can apply to extend it in certain circumstances. 

When can I start my activity or work?

You may start as soon as you receive a decision. You must meet all conditions set as part of your resource consent, and obtain a building consent if required.