How to apply


Are you applying for consent to subdivide your land? Read on to understand what your application will need to contain, the fees, and the consent processing timeframe.

First, you need to engage a licensed cadastral surveyor or registered professional surveyor to lodge the application on your behalf. They are experienced and will know whether the land you want to subdivide is suitable and can meet Council rules.

Your application will need to include:

  • the address and legal description of the property
  • a copy of the Certificates of Title for the land to be subdivided
  • abutting and underlying title boundaries and existing building line restrictions
  • topographic and geological details
  • areas of the land that are or may be subject to flooding, inundation, erosion, landslip or subsidence
  • existing vegetation, including significant areas of bush and significant trees
  • vegetation to be retained or protected
  • existing sanitary, sewer and stormwater drainage systems with invert and manhole levels
  • existing power and telegraph poles and services
  • existing and proposed septic tanks and irrigation systems
  • existing roads, carriageways and pathways that will be connected to
  • existing buildings and other structures and a description of their uses and materials, and whether you intend to retain, relocate or move them
  • proposed roads, accessways, service lanes, access lots, and private ways with relevant widths, areas and proposed gradients
  • proposed easements (drainage, rights of way etc) with a memorandum and/or schedule
  • proposed areas of excavation and filling, together with proposed finished contours.

Earthworks proposals should be accompanied by a report from a registered engineer or other suitably qualified person with experience in soil mechanics or geotechnical matters.

What it costs

Refer to the latest planning fees and charges.

Development contributions

Most subdivision proposals result in more demand on our city's infrastructure. The increased demand caused by your development means you will need to pay a development contribution.

The amount you have to pay will depend on where the site is located and the nature of the subdivision. The development contribution will need to be paid before the 224 Certificate is issued.

How long it takes

The statutory timeframe for processing a subdivision consent is 20 working days. If we need more information under S92 of the RMA 1991, we will contact you. If this happens, the clock stops until we receive the extra information.