Waterloo Park land exchange

Submissions closed on 17 May 2023, 04:00 PM

The strip of land at Waterloo Park currently used as a buffer between homes and the neighbouring industrial activity.

We’re proposing to exchange a small area of Waterloo Park with privately-owned land so – in time – we can provide a better entrance to the Manawatū River Park. We’d like to hear your views on this proposed exchange of land.

This connects to a wider plan for Roxburgh Crescent

We’re currently working on a proposed plan change to turn industrial-zoned land along Roxburgh Crescent in Hokowhitu into a residential zone. We'll be consulting you about this later this year but in the meantime you can read about it here: Rezoning Roxburgh Crescent

As part of our planning for the new housing area, we're proposing to provide a new public entrance to the Manawatū River from Roxburgh Crescent. A land exchange could improve the location of the entrance. This would enable more plants, parking and facilities at the river entrance for our community to use. 

We want to exchange a small piece of reserve for a new reserve

There is currently a small strip of Waterloo Park that acts as a buffer between Roxburgh Crescent’s industrial activities and homes in Tilbury Avenue. It's 11m x 120m, totalling approximately 1,300m2 (see photo gallery at the bottom of the page).

We won't need the buffer if Roxburgh Crescent is rezoned. That's why we're proposing to exchange this part of the park for land in the middle of Roxburgh’s future (proposed) new housing.

The current river access points at Ruahine Street and Ayr Place would remain.

The exchange would happen under the Reserves Act, in a separate process to the plan change. These processes have to happen separately due to different legislative requirements. 

We need to ask the Crown’s permission

There is a multi-step process for this type of land exchange:

  1. We consult the community and consider any objections before deciding whether to apply for the land to be exchanged.
  2. Council makes a resolution, which we send to the the Minister of Conservation.
  3. The minister looks over the request and decides whether to grant it.

Only then would we plan the new entrance. Its classification as a recreational reserve would remain the same.

Let us know your views by Wednesday 17 May

We’d like to know your views on the proposed exchange of land in Waterloo Park for an area of land in the proposed Roxburgh Crescent redevelopment.

You can let us know what you think by filling in a submission form.

If you have questions or would like to talk to us in person come along to our drop-in session on Monday 17 April. It's from 6pm to 8pm at the Hokowhitu Scout Hall, 9 Ayr Place. 

Other ways to make a submission

You can also email us at submission@pncc.govt.nz or call on 06 356 8199.

Alternatively, you can drop a written submission into our Customer Service Centre on the Square.


Waterloo Crescent, Hokowhitu   View Map

Google Map