Apply for a certificate for public use

A certificate for public use allows premises affected by building work to be used by the public. You can only apply for a certificate for public use if a building consent has been granted but the code compliance certificate has not been issued.

Your application for a certificate for public use needs to describe the precautions you will take to protect people using the building until the code compliance certificate is issued. This should include any specified systems, how people would escape from a fire, and access and facilities for people with disabilities.

You will still need to apply for a code compliance certificate once you've completed your building work.