In statutory terms the role of the District Plan is defined as controlling the effects of the use, development and protection of land within the context of promoting sustainable management. Put simply, the District Plan sets the scene in terms of what people can do with their land in the city and whether or not they require Council approval.
Operative District Plan
The District Plan is a living document that is subject to regular review and updates. Information on changes including the status of any Plan Change will be available here:
- Proposed Plan Change 22A-G Omnibus
- Proposed Plan Change A: removal of opening hour rules for activities involving the sale of alcohol
Please contact Council’s regulatory planners on 06 356 8199 to confirm the status of provisions as they apply to your development or activity.
Information on past plan changes is available via the Sectional District Plan Review.
City planning maps
Click on the photo to access our online planning maps. The maps are best viewed using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge.
District Plan volume one
Volume two: Design guidelines and supplementary information
- Development Contributions Policy 2018
- Guide to Development Contributions Policy
- Tonkin and Taylor: Land Subject to Erosion or Slippage
- NZ Code of Practice: Electrical Safe Distances
- Greenfield Reserves Criteria