There are currently no water restrictions in place in Palmerston North city. This includes Ashhurst, Bunnythorpe, Linton and Longburn. However, we encourage residents to conserve water at every opportunity.
Keep reading for 10 easy tips to save water in your home and garden.
Every drop counts
Every drop counts, especially in the dry season. There are loads of easy ways to use a bit less water – and help make a big difference – so please read on, pick something new that’s simple for you, and be water-smarter this summer.
Save water inside
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth – this can save 6 litres of water a minute.
- Fill a jug or bottle with tap water and place it in your fridge – this way, you don't have to leave the tap running for the water to run cold before you fill your glass.
- Fix a dripping tap – a dripping tap can waste 15 litres of water a day.
- Use full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher – this cuts out unnecessary washes in between.
- Take shorter showers – showering can use up to 18 litres of water a minute. If you cut your shower time from 10 minutes to five, you could save as much as 90 litres of water.
Save water outside
- Mulch your garden to keep moisture in – mulch can cut evaporation by up to 70 per cent.
- Remove weeds – weeds compete for available moisture.
- Control your hose with trigger – you can stop and start the hose instantly and direct water where you need it, so you don't waste a drop.
- Sweep paths and decks instead of hosing them clean.
- Use a bucket of soapy water and a sponge to clean your car instead of a hose – this can save 10-15 litres of water a minute.
Pick up more water conservation tips on the Smarter Homes website.