A vibrant city centre will make Palmerston North even more attractive for work and play, provide more opportunities for locals and visitors to connect with the city and the people who live there, and bring significant benefits for the local economy.
- wider granite footpaths and kerbs
- more seating and social areas
- more green spaces
- informal places to cross
- resurfacing parking and traffic lanes
- narrowing some traffic lanes to slow traffic
- future-proofing our key utilities.
The project spans eight years and includes the Square, Main Street, Broadway, and small sections of Rangitikei Street and Fitzherbert Avenue.
The first part of the project was completed in 2019 and involved the Square-side of the street between Main and Church Streets by the Plaza. The shop-side of the street will be completed in early 2020.
- Early 2020: Construction on the shop-side of the street between Main and Church Streets
- Early 2020: Consultation on the section of road from Main Street to Broadway. This consultation will involve extensive discussions with businessowners
- Mid 2020: Consultation with Broadway businesses
- Mid 2020: A separate consultation on the location for the city bus terminal. We’ll be working closely with Horizons Regional Council on this consultation. This does not include regional buses which are based inside the Square.
Find out more
You can read more about our plans for our CBD in the City Centre Framework and the City Centre Plan. You can also take a look at our City Centre Streetscape Plan which details our plans for the spaces and streets around The Square and Broadway Avenue.